What's new

Convince me that the Dock is worth the money

Tmozer

I have not tried hooking my SP3 up to a HDMI TV yet. Question: Does the port support audio too or do you have to run an analog audio cable?

PCAnyWhere

Honestly at home I don't use the SP3 as my main device so I haven't found a need for a dock or have the space for one. However I would probably like one in my visiting offices for when I travel; but that is prohibitive with the size and weight. For what its worth, the extra charging station is probably one of the good things about it so if you want a second charger and a "home" for your SP3 it's a good go.

I do use a USB 3.0 hub and mini-DP to 'whatever' adapter depending on what type of screen I am connecting to. I use HDMI in a hotel and VGA at an office and DVI if needed when home. I did buy a multi-adapter version and it failed so now I have the microsoft store branded one as a replacement for my VGA adapter. my HDMI one is from Startech and so far it keeps on going.

this comes down to use. how you use it daily will show that you could benefit from a dock at all.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have not tried hooking my SP3 up to a HDMI TV yet. Question: Does the port support audio too or do you have to run an analog audio cable?
It is HDMI Compliant and supports audio natively - at least using the official mini-DP to HDMI adapter.

ptrkhh

The port does support audio. However, it now all depends on the monitor/TV to convert the digital audio signal to an analog signal. It will use TV/monitor's DAC, and quite frankly, most of them suck. Its not a problem if you use the builtin speakers, but once you route the audio out to external speakers, it will probably sound worse than taking the audio straight from the SP3.

soulreaver99

Is that a Moto 360? I wish my Surface had access to my work VPN so I could leave my Lenovo laptop at the office.

Yup, that is indeed a Moto 360! Wish it would work with my iPhone because I think the Apple Watch is UGLY. Anyway, the Surface Pro is pretty much my do all device for work and travel. Macbook Pro stays at home and is now for doing some DJ gigs on the side.

GTiceman

Yup, that is indeed a Moto 360! Wish it would work with my iPhone because I think the Apple Watch is UGLY. Anyway, the Surface Pro is pretty much my do all device for work and travel. Macbook Pro stays at home and is now for doing some DJ gigs on the side.
Nice I have a silver one. Got the SteelConnect adapters for the band. My company won't let personal devices on the network. Might just make another VM. I have been using AeroFS for my files.

lonaysta

I have one for my SP3 and one for my GF's. First one took me close to $200 and second one was a slick deal on eBay for less than $100, shipped and tax included...Surely a lot more convenient. I do like the pen magnetic.