What's new

Convince me to buy the SP4 despite so many issues

Not sure I agree with the early adopter comments. This is the Surface Pro 4, not the a Surface Pro 1, so they should have learnt by now. That might apply to the Surface Book but I don't think we should be allowing Microsoft excuses now. If their comments were accurate then the Surface Pro 3 should be stable and problem free, but that's not the case.

nuttyone

Its interesting reading people's experiences of their SP4. I love apple products. I am definitely more of a style than techy person and had quite a difficult decision to make between a SP4 and Mac book pro (the MB air screen just doesn't cut it). It came down to the portability. What MS has done (and it's taken four iterations + lessons from the Surface line) is quite incredible.

What you have to remember is Windows has never been without its faults. iOS /OSX is made for single devices with extremely similar hardware. Even though MS makes the Surface, it is not responsible for all the drivers for all the pieces of hardware which Windows has to run on. There's a reason SouthWest airlines (for our American friends here) only use one type of aircraft in their fleet; Boeing 737s (nb. it's been a couple of years since I did my case study on SW so they may have changed slightly since then).

Anyway, at the end of the day you have to decide for yourself whether the SP4 is right for you or not. The three key things that did it for me which the SP4 was able to do were:

1. USB
2. Portability
3. Compatibility

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure I agree with the early adopter comments. This is the Surface Pro 4, not the a Surface Pro 1, so they should have learnt by now. That might apply to the Surface Book but I don't think we should be allowing Microsoft excuses now. If their comments were accurate then the Surface Pro 3 should be stable and problem free, but that's not the case.
SP4 is one of the FIRST Skylake products on the market, that's early adopter. The firmware just released contains Skylake microcode... hello Intel.

Windows 10 while a few months old is still suffering early startup issues. Id say the continuous update, piecemeal feature rollout is another *early* untried methodology.

Call it whatever you want... if you don't want to live with reality. Windows 10 will hit it's stride about the time the free period is over, except for the new features.

I wish MS would change it's core PM methodology/principals but some things never change. As big as their Security effort is/has been over the last 10-12 years they need to match or exceed it on the Quality improvement front and I said the same thing when it started.

There was about 3-4 months of display driver crashing, wifi driver crashing, and Audio stopping working on the Surface 3. Curiously it was fine when released then started a couple months afterwards.

Design is not equal to execution/execution is not equal to design. They did a very good job designing the Surface.

The ratings on Amazon have been pretty consistent.
45% 5 Stars
14% 4 Stars
09% 3 Stars
17% 2 Stars
15% 1 Star
Note: you cannot give 0 Stars on a review, 1 is the minimum.

Or about 60% positive and 30-32% negative. which is what Id expect from hitting 80% of your 80/20 goal.

Aim higher.

Last edited:

Carolv

I agree with some of the posters here. On boards like this you will get more people posting problems than saying everything if fine. It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.

My first 2 SP4's were having problems. The first one, after it was on for a while, the screen would bleed through 2 images making it unusable. When I took the 2nd one in it wouldn't even start up for the Tech guy so he just replaced it. Picked up the 3rd one last night, let it run through it's updates, and installed some of my programs on it. Seems to be working ok. Fingers crossed.

Here is a picture of my first SP4 with the display bleed though.

upload_2015-11-20_10-57-10.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-20_10-47-21.png
    upload_2015-11-20_10-47-21.png
    484.2 KB · Views: 550

surfdogg

I love my SP4. You just won't find a lot of positive posts because people don't take the time to post if they're happy. It only happens when they're having a problem.

If you go to the iPhone forums you will find people having a multitude of problems and yet the iPhone is seen as a very stable and good device. Every computer system has case by case problems. There is no computer that doesn't have some sort of issue at some point.

That said, the Surface would work great for what you need to do. I haven't had many issues and again, I'm loving my device.

Tigersoul

Howdy...I literally created an account here just to reply to this thread, so hopefully you'll find this helpful. I have a Surface Pro 4 I5/8GB which I bought in early November. I was weighing between this and the new Surface book, but the rational side of my brain eventually won out when I accepted the fact that I didn't have enough money to frivolously dump another few hundred to a grand.

Let me start with some background as to what kind of user I am. I travel frequently for work, so weight and portability were big considerations for me. When your computer is constantly in your backpack, dimensions and weight matter. Similarly, battery life was also key as it's rare to find power plugs throughout most commercial planes (though they're getting better).

I rarely use the pen nor do I have a need to touch the screen. I accidentally fried my last Acer S5 ultrabook (which I adored) by tipping over a glass of water on the keyboard. So I needed a new machine, but I'm not a "tablet guy."

My laptop is used primarily for MS Office productivity, web browsing and media play. All updates were installed as soon as they were available and the brightness is kept at 25%. I've never sat down and done a hard test on my battery life, but I'd guess it to be maybe 6 hours if the machine was in airplane mode just playing movies (could be wrong, again, life is too busy to sit down and measure that). I don't use sleep or hibernate unless by accident. If I don't need my computer, it is shut down. The boot is so absurdly fast that I have no need to keep it on. I'm not a gamer, which is not to say I'd never play one but just that they don't really come in to my usual usage rotation.

I don't run aftermarket antivirus -- not because I'm against it but just because I have yet to get around to installing my Eset on here. :) The thing has been running so smoothly that it hasn't crossed my radar (having a 2-year old will do that to you).

I've had none of the video driver or power button issues that I'm seeing in the threads here. The thing just works and I've been pleasantly surprised by the keyboard. A side benefit of this platform that hadn't occurred to me when I bought it is the defense against spill damage just by design alone. If I were to clumsily spill another damn cup of water on THIS keyboard, I simply replace the type cover and everything's fine. That's a nice plus in a chaotic world with a lot of moving parts. There's a flexibility with becoming a surface user that you may not even realize the benefit of until you own one. I never would've predicted, for example, loading up a netflix movie for my daughter, popping the kickstand and yanking the keyboard before setting it on a coffee table to entertain her. It becomes a "tool" in your daily life.

Though I'm a staunch Win7 pro user, Windows 10 has been a pleasant surprise to use.

Looking back over this, it doesn't seem like a compelling argument for you to buy a surface. :) Guess it's difficult to really convince someone with all one's "non-issues." It works smoothly and I use it damn near every day. Build quality and screen are also nice. You can tell it's not your typical budget-build computer. There was care put into the details and that matters to me -- not so much for the aesthetics (which are nice), but just the logical peace of mind that such a mindset indicates that care was put into OTHER details as well. I don't know what your age bracket is (I'm 41), but that stuff starts to matter more as you get older and lose patience for other peoples' laziness, !@#$-ups, and bullsh*t excuses. I'll pay more money to deal with less idiots and liars. I simply don't have the time, energy, or patience for it anymore. So I'd rather give a company my money that's committed to making their customers happy.

Because of the afore-mentioned indicators of good corporate character, I also have faith that updates will continue to roll out that will tweak and improve things.

So there's my two cents. Wherever you land, I hope you have a good experience. I'm enjoying the tranquility of having a reliable machine that gets things done that I can take anywhere. It's nice to have one less thing to worry about.

I have a surface pro 4 and other than some display driver issues everything else works great. The sp4 is not my only device, I got it because I wanted a light weight full blown pc and stop packing around my 5 lb laptop everywhere I go. I do not ever use sleep mode, the tablet boots fast so I just shut it off when not in use. I occasionally use the pen in photos hop and making quick edits with the sp4 is more preferred method now.​

OP
J

jtcb

I think I will downgrade from buying the SP4 to S3. Do you think it can handle the media consumption part of the usage?

Philtastic

I've had a SP4 i5, 256 GB, 8 GB since the Oct. 26 launch. In the first week, there were only a few issues that I suffered, namely the Intel display driver crashes and large battery drain during sleep. After a week, my keyboard port failed, thus I got a replacement just as a large update came out. Since then, in the past 3 weeks, I have only experienced two issues: the same Intel display driver crashes and now sometimes the keyboard's trackpad doesn't work out of sleep if I put it to sleep without the keyboard and then reattach the keyboard while it's still asleep. I even have a microSD card constantly plugged in and don't seem to suffer any issues for that!

As of today, my SP4 works pretty much exactly how it should. My uses run the gamut of Office, videos, video games, drawing with Sketchbook, OneNote note taking, Edge browsing, reading from the Kindle app, and musical notation with Musescore. Totally love it, and it's a huge upgrade from my previous SP2!

That said, as a purely media consumption device, you can go much cheaper to achieve the same thing. A Surface 3 (non-pro) will do almost all media consumption just as well as an SP4. The Pro line is designed for heavier loads from programs that you would normally run on a full laptop while the non-Pro S3 is truly for the media consumption crowd. Do note that the S3 does not normally include the pen.

EMINENT

I've had a SP4 i5, 256 GB, 8 GB since the Oct. 26 launch. In the first week, there were only a few issues that I suffered, namely the Intel display driver crashes and large battery drain during sleep. After a week, my keyboard port failed, thus I got a replacement just as a large update came out. Since then, in the past 3 weeks, I have only experienced two issues: the same Intel display driver crashes and now sometimes the keyboard's trackpad doesn't work out of sleep if I put it to sleep without the keyboard and then reattach the keyboard while it's still asleep. I even have a microSD card constantly plugged in and don't seem to suffer any issues for that!

As of today, my SP4 works pretty much exactly how it should. My uses run the gamut of Office, videos, video games, drawing with Sketchbook, OneNote note taking, Edge browsing, reading from the Kindle app, and musical notation with Musescore. Totally love it, and it's a huge upgrade from my previous SP2!

That said, as a purely media consumption device, you can go much cheaper to achieve the same thing. A Surface 3 (non-pro) will do almost all media consumption just as well as an SP4. The Pro line is designed for heavier loads from programs that you would normally run on a full laptop while the non-Pro S3 is truly for the media consumption crowd. Do note that the S3 does not normally include the pen.

S3 is also on sale for $399 for the lower storage model. Pretty good deal if you don't need the screen size or power.

OP
J

jtcb

How much of performance boost between S3 and SP4 M3? I really like the screen size on the SP4 and the pen and the typecover. I am now considering the SP4 M3. Do you think it worth the extra $ just for the screen size, pen, and typecover?

InspectHerGadget

How much of performance boost between S3 and SP4 M3? I really like the screen size on the SP4 and the pen and the typecover. I am now considering the SP4 M3. Do you think it worth the extra $ just for the screen size, pen, and typecover?
Don't even consider the S3 if you're concerned about performance. It is much slower. It isn't just the CPU speed, it is the storage which uses MMC rather than a proper SSD.