What's new

Cortana for Surface Pro 3

Does anyone have Cortana (with the new Windows 10)? I am specifically talking using the voice recognition software portion of Cortana. For example, making an appointment or checking the weather by asking her.

Does it run smoothly on SP3 (I hear that the mic on the SP3 isn't very good)?
Must you have GPS turned on in order to use it?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use it and have enabled Cortana support on my Office 365 tenant.... works without a problem with me.

PhysicalEd

Not working at all for me :( When I first tapped the microphone, it asked me to set up my mic, while warning me that the RealTek microphone wasn't an optimal device. This surprised me, because hey, this is a MS product! Anyway, it set the levels automatically after making me read a phrase (same one as for voice training). And I could get it to recognize "Hey Cortana". But then it seemed to not hear anything. Checking my mic, the levels had been set to 0. I reset them, and tried again, it seems every time it hears "Hey Cortana" it zeroes the levels!

So, buggy at this time. I hope they fix it.

Oh, I found this related thread -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...crophone/0c1045bb-eac4-4e20-9605-eee85cf40bd6

stsalkit

Cortana appears to run OK for me EXCEPT that she does not respond to "hey Cortana" (the appropriate setting is ON) - I need to press the mic picture in the search bar in order for her to hear...

OP
M

Modification

It's a shame GPS must be turned on to use any of Cortana's features including using her to look up highlighted words in the Edge. Do I prefer battery over this feature? Yes. But I would still like both.

bluemoongreg

Got the warning about the RealTek microphone, but went ahead with her training anyway. Much to my surprise... she's working like a charm. Finding her quite useful.

OP
M

Modification

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,108

bluemoongreg

Does she respond to your "hey Cortana"?

Yes, she's been quite attentive so far. Have been in a very quiet environment all day; will be interesting to try her tomorrow in the office and labs at work. Maybe the microphones lack of optimization for her will show.

stsalkit

Yes, she's been quite attentive so far. Have been in a very quiet environment all day; will be interesting to try her tomorrow in the office and labs at work. Maybe the microphones lack of optimization for her will show.
ΟΚ - finally it has to do with the mic! I retrained her to my voice and now when in quiet place and me speaking loud enough she responds! Thanks you for attention