What's new

Couple questions about the charger.

[1] The USB port on the charger AC adapter, what is it for?
[2] I have an Anker battery pack (I use to charge my phone, other laptops,...) when I don't have access to a household outlet. It has USB ports. Where can I get a charging cable with one end USB and the other end "magnetic" like on the SP2 OEM cable?

Thanks,

yeewiz

1) to charge your USB accessories, i.e., phone, at the same time
2) you need 12V, 3.6A to charge your SP2. Can the Anker support that? Further, USB standard is 5V. So that pretty much means you won't find a USB cable with that magnetic connector at the other end.

bluegrass

If you can match the DC & current requirements with a pack like the Anker, then you need to purchase another Surface charger and cut the cable and attach it to your portable battery pack. I've been close to do the same thing but I just don't find myself that desperate yet. My Ford truck has a standard AC outlet in it that I can use to charge when I'm away from home. If I decide to go way back in the boondocks such as a float trip in my canoe, I might consider backpack hack. Probably by the time that happens, someone we'll realize there is a market to portable charge Surfaces and come out with a legitimate backpack charger that will work on our Surfaces.

yeewiz

What are my options to charge the SP2 without an outlet?

You don't indicate how portable or outlet-free you need to be, but biuegrass' post sounds about right. Eventually I think you're going to end up butchering up a SP2 charger to get that magnetic thingie since it's pretty proprietary. Although I wonder if you'll run into a problem since the magnetic connector can be connected in any direction. Couple of other ideas:

1) Solar panels. See REI.com. Products aren't too clear what kind of output connectors they have.
2) 12V car voltage inverter

Last edited:

jollywombat

You might take a look here

They have a number of power packs for sale including one for pre-order that has a 195Wh battery pack, and they appear to sell cables for various other battery packs that are made from your choice of the original surface charger or a 3rd party one. They also sell car chargers and such.

guymalloc

For about $159 you can get a surface pro (2) docking station, it has a coaxial power plug, you could probably use any compatible power supply, as long as the voltage and milliamp rating is the same. It's an extra piece to lug around, but the extra usb ports are handy, and it's sturdier than the flip out stand on the surface.