What's new

Cover key board only works in UEFI Bios mode.

N0orm

Upgraded all, no help. Hard reset, no help. Diagnostic does not cover keyboard problems. Keyboard lights up but as usual no one is home. What I know is that the keyboard performs in EUFI mode. Able to go down the list with key board. All keys work, mouse pad works. .Booting to Windows cuts use of cover keyboard. USB keyboard works, Blue tooth keyboard works. Cleaning connectors with cramolin did nothing. I am stubborn. l know but I have tried every little trick in devices and printers. Device manager unloading and reloading drivers , cleaning the registry.. Some one please tell Me what I am missing.

Thank you

N0ORM. Denver Colorado

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Upgraded all, no help. Hard reset, no help. Diagnostic does not cover keyboard problems. Keyboard lights up but as usual no one is home. What I know is that the keyboard performs in EUFI mode. Able to go down the list with key board. All keys work, mouse pad works. .Booting to Windows cuts use of cover keyboard. USB keyboard works, Blue tooth keyboard works. Cleaning connectors with cramolin did nothing. I am stubborn. l know but I have tried every little trick in devices and printers. Device manager unloading and reloading drivers , cleaning the registry.. Some one please tell Me what I am missing.

Thank you

N0ORM. Denver Colorado
Let's try a clean boot - Shutdown the computer completely by holding the power button down until it goes to a Command Prompt saying that the Computer Needs to shutdown, let go the power button at this point. Wait for it to shut off, then holding the Volume Rocker Up - Power back on, and then exit UEFI (w/o changing anything) and let it re-start.

Do all of the above with the Cover Attached.

OP
N

N0orm

Let's try a clean boot - Shutdown the computer completely by holding the power button down until it goes to a Command Prompt saying that the Computer Needs to shutdown, let go the power button at this point. Wait for it to shut off, then holding the Volume Rocker Up - Power back on, and then exit UEFI (w/o changing anything) and let it re-start.

Do all of the above with the Cover Attached.
Did all twice no help. It seems key board only works "command mode" in bios and in bit locker with in bios mode. Device manager shows surface cover key board as surface cover keyboard. Plus HID times 3. Could there be diferent drivers for the surface cover keyboard?. Weird don't you think???Windows recognized the keyboard but will not let it function! I was going to try to place it in safe mode but I just gave up at that point. Any further ideas would be welcomed.
Thank you!
N0orm

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Try a cold reboot, but hold down the Windows key on the keyboard. This worked on my SP3 about two years ago. Keyboard came to life (or was recognized).

OP
N

N0orm

Try a cold reboot, but hold down the Windows key on the keyboard. This worked on my SP3 about two years ago. Keyboard came to life (or was recognized).
Thank yo for the tip but no luck. I Also noticed when I snap on the keyboard it adds itself to device manger as " surface keyboard cover filter" So it seems to recognise itself, such a strange problem. Considering that the keyboard works when it is in the bios mode. So I know there is nothing wrong with the key board. My suspicion is the driver is at fault.