What's new

CPU/GPU Specs, Why no info?

Johnny365

So the Nvidia graphics is in the keyboard? Does that mean Microsoft could theoretically release an updated GPU down the line?

OP
M

marcux

If it's 2 piece the keyboard would be replaceable, and theoretically yes, they could release a more powerful gpu in there..

I found this information:
Intel® HD graphics 520 and optional NVIDIA® GeForce® Graphics Processor with dedicated 1GB GDDR5 high-speed memory.

How the heck is this considered best in class? I want to see 1GB ram push 3000x2000 resolution in a game. All it'll show is how much faster it is than the SP4, and how bad it'll be against the newer tablets running faster GPU and 2-3GB of video ram.

At least I see the WiFi is 2x2 MIMO

802.11ac 2x2 MIMO Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible.

Yeah, couple of things about MS marketing that annoyed me with this. For example, they say the device is 50% faster than the air and 30% faster than the SP3. I have the Air and the SP3 and I can tell you the SP3 isn't faster than the Air in the same spec but they way they have compared it shows it as such. They are probably using separate tests which have no relation to each other but its clearly designed to give the wrong impression. I hate it when marketing people try bullshit their way through something that doesn't need to be bullshitted. The SP3 is a damn good device without having to heave on marketing bullshit that simply isn't required.

That said, I love what they have done with the Surface Book. Couple of minor gripes but overall it looks like a very nice device and I'll be preorder when they make it available for preorder in Australia (douches only opened preorders for USA)

Excluding GPU, there's too much hype about the i5 surface book CPU performance:

It's only 13% faster than my SP3 i5 at maximum potential which is subpar for a 6th gen CPU with a much higher base clock (2.5 GHz - 3 GHz Turbo vs 1.9 - 2.9 GHz Turbo on the 4th Gen i5). It'll be a different case though on an extended CPU load. Overall, with general performance and quick burst CPU tasks, it's too hyped and way too expensive for a non-dGPU model: Microsoft Corporation Surface Book vs Microsoft Corporation Surface Pro 3 - Geekbench Browser

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excluding GPU, there's too much hype about the i5 surface book CPU performance:

It's only 13% faster than my SP3 i5 at maximum potential which is subpar for a 6th gen CPU with a much higher base clock (2.5 GHz - 3 GHz Turbo vs 1.9 - 2.9 GHz Turbo on the 4th Gen i5). It'll be a different case though on an extended CPU load. Overall, with general performance and quick burst CPU tasks, it's too hyped and way too expensive for a non-dGPU model: Microsoft Corporation Surface Book vs Microsoft Corporation Surface Pro 3 - Geekbench Browser
I'll hold judgment until some "Real" benchmarks are published Geekbench results on Intel CPU's are notoriously squirrely.

BearFlag

I wish they would provide specific information about the core i5 vs core i7 processors. I want to know if it will make a noticeable difference to have the i7 vs i5, that would justify the extra $200.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish they would provide specific information about the core i5 vs core i7 processors. I want to know if it will make a noticeable difference to have the i7 vs i5, that would justify the extra $200.
That information will come but even IF you had it today, there are not Skylake CPU benchmarks for U series and Core- m3 to look at.

These two Anandtech articles probably have the best info right now...

Microsoft Announces the Surface Pro 4, from $900

Microsoft Reveals the Surface Book

Last edited: