What's new

CPU/GPU Specs, Why no info?

Stephan

I heard that the tablet only has 3 h of battery life... So I don't think we will detach the keyboard very often.... I think I'll wait for next year and the SP5 or the SB 2 for more innovations.

BearFlag

Thanks for finding this. Would you say the difference is not significant then? I'm not an expert on CPU performance and would not want to pay $200 more for something I won't really notice. I do intend to play games on it so I would be getting the version with the NVIDIA graphics card.

MOFO

Unless your a power user I think the i5 version should be just fine and I don't think the i7 version would give a significant performance boost in gaming , with DX12 around the corner the impact will be even less.
Now I could be totally wrong about CPU performance but it might also come down to how well the chassis handles thermals and if it can run cool enough to not throttle under heavy load.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Passmark Comparisons - small sample sizes take with several grains of salt.
compare1.PNG

Comparison of SP3 i7 with SP4 i5 & SP3 i5
compare2.PNG

Comparison of SP3 i7 with SP4 i7 & i5

Geekbench - - single thread - - multi thread *1 small sample size *2 upper percentile.
i5-6300U - - 3058 - - 6333*1
i5-4300U - - 2780 - - 5370*2

i7-6600U - - 3179 - - 6820*1
i7-4650U - - 3020 - - 5620*2

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The GPU was jointly developed by the Surface Engineering Team and NVIDIA specifically for the Surface Book, it has the basic core of the 950M IIRC but is also heavily modified and optimized for the device. It will game but its tuned for Video Production, 3D modeling , etc.

OP
M

marcux

Interesting, if it's 950M based, I'll keep my preorder, that should be sufficient gaming >.>
where did you find that information?

CrippsCorner

Does anyone know what m3 processor is in the base model? CPU Boss seems to think it's less powerful than than the Surface 3... not sure about that :confused:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know what m3 processor is in the base model? CPU Boss seems to think it's less powerful than than the Surface 3... not sure about that :confused:
Haven't seen a single benchmark for it yet. I saw a site yesterday showing a comparison... but all the numbers were 'Zeros' :) nice template I guess.