What's new

CPU/GPU Specs, Why no info?

dodgeis4me

You: what gpu is in the surface book?
James G: Hey!!! I'd be happy to assist you with the Surface Book today!
James G: That's a great question!
James G: As of right now the only information we have received on the Surface Book's GPU is this: a new unreleased NVIDIA GeForce graphics (GPU)
You: oh ok,,, thanks
James G: i5: Intel HD graphics (non-GPU) • i5/i7: NVIDIA GeForce graphics (GPU) The GPU in the Performance Base is · 18W optimized Nvidia® GeForce® with new Maxwell architecture · High performance GPU video memory – 1GB GDDR5 40 GBytes/sec · GDDR bus width – 64 bits · GPU speed – 993 MHz
You: ok thanks
James G: You're very welcome

mva5580

Trying to ask any kind of question of depth to a CSR is painful beyond description. And they really shouldn't be trusted, regardless of what they say.

Anyway, I think at this point all anyone should expect of the GPU is that it's an incremental step up from Iris graphics. Anything beyond that would be asking too much of a 1gb GPU that they refuse to disclose, and if it was capable of anything less then why even do it?

bangsters

lol.... yea I checked and there's no 6 core for skylake. For haswell there is... could it be under wraps until it gets officially released next week, hence the info is not disclosed? Could be possible, and I'm hopgin it's true... lol, when I asked the guy at MS Store, I was like are you sure, coz there's no 6 core for skylake, and he said yea he was positive.... who knows maybe we get a big surprise next week.

fingers crossed...

mva5580

Regardless of what it ends up being, it's disappointing for a company to be so stingy with revealing what's really inside of a product that they are selling. I guess they have no reason to do anything different though, when you consider they're sold out.

For the page on the MS store to say nothing beyond "6th Gen Intel Core i5 or i7" and "NVIDIA GeForce graphics (GPU)"......that's just not right. If someone is going to drop at least $1,500 on a computer, they should know and should WANT to know exactly what's in it.

GoodBytes

The GPU isn't really made for gaming. You'll most likely get a more performance over Intel offering (remember the resolution of the laptop isn't 1080p (1920x1080), but much higher (3000x2000)), the 1GB GDDR5 will help A LOT in gaming performance over using system RAM, but that is it.

Microsoft opted for battery life, cool and quiet operation, over a noisy and hot system when the GPU is pushed. The GPU is mostly targeted at software that uses DirectCompute, CUDA, and OpenCL.

As GPUs from Nvidia are getting more and more power saving. I mean now Nvidia is selling DESKTOP GPUs that you can put in a somewhat thin (for gaming laptops, so still thick in reality), GeForce GTX 980 (no "M" at the end), full clock speed and all. Shows how things are coming along.

I think the Surface Book 2, if this one is successful, will have better cooling solution and better GPU, while keeping the system the same.

MOFO

No one is looking to game at full res if they are they going to be very dissapointed.
Gaming at 720P should help a great deal and still look great on the 13.5" screen but then again well know for sure once people get there hands on one.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The GPU isn't really made for gaming. You'll most likely get a more performance over Intel offering (remember the resolution of the laptop isn't 1080p (1920x1080), but much higher (3000x2000)), the 1GB GDDR5 will help A LOT in gaming performance over using system RAM, but that is it.

Microsoft opted for battery life, cool and quiet operation, over a noisy and hot system when the GPU is pushed. The GPU is mostly targeted at software that uses DirectCompute, CUDA, and OpenCL.

As GPUs from Nvidia are getting more and more power saving. I mean now Nvidia is selling DESKTOP GPUs that you can put in a somewhat thin (for gaming laptops, so still thick in reality), GeForce GTX 980 (no "M" at the end), full clock speed and all. Shows how things are coming along.

I think the Surface Book 2, if this one is successful, will have better cooling solution and better GPU, while keeping the system the same.
There's probably plenty of planar space to work with just not much depth and the heat will still be very localized so perhaps there will be TWO GPUs in the SB2 keyboard, one on the right side under "i,o,p" and one on the left side under "w,e,r". :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This reddit user ran some tests on it, and it seems to be only slightly better than the 940m:
Analysis of Surface Book GPU • /r/Surface
I think their analysis is flawed. I think we already know that lining up specs without knowledge of the GPU core being used is invalid. The other highly dubious information only further exacerbates the fundamentally flawed basis for supposition which just as likely could lead to the conclusion being in the wrong galaxy.

GoodBytes

We do know:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

DirectX version: 12.0
GPU processor: GeForce GPU

Driver version: 354.15
Direct3D API version: 12
Direct3D feature level: 11_0
CUDA Cores: 384
Core clock: 954 MHz
Memory data rate: 5010 MHz
Memory interface: 64-bit