What's new

CPU load high when docked

mrphysics

I have noticed an odd behaviour when my SP3 (I5, 256) is docked. Task Manager reports System consuming ~ 13% and System Interrupts consuming ~ 8% of CPU resources while idol. MS has replaced my dock once and I'm on my second SP3 now and the issue seems to be remaining.

CPU load doesn't fall below ~ 21% while docked but will drop to 0% when not docked.

It doesn't seem to matter if the dock has any peripherals attached or only just the power adapter.

Docked CPU Usage
docked.jpg

Un-docked CPU load
undocked.jpg

Has anyone else come across this? Any ideas?

Obviously this becomes an issue when I'm taxing the SP while docked because it is already at 21% and program loads cause the unit to get hot, increase fan use/noise and cause CPU throttling.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you updated the Firmware while the device is docked? There was an update for this issue a couple a months ago...

Caesar

What you describe is a feature from Microsoft. The forums are full of the description of the high CPU load from system interrupt.
Microsoft is ignoring this problem!

My solution: Every day i'm starting my Surface twice: First start inclusive login, then restart. After restarting the system interrupt CPU load is 0%. It is boring to start every day two times. But this is a Microsoft feature. Thank you Microsoft.
Some user say it is a problem with the audio driver. Starting any musicplayer "solves" the problem.

Here you can read one of the forum threads: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-sysytem/d17d1332-3c00-402d-9f15-fecee27d1c45

OP
M

mrphysics

What you describe is a feature from Microsoft. The forums are full of the description of the high CPU load from system interrupt.
Microsoft is ignoring this problem!

My solution: Every day i'm starting my Surface twice: First start inclusive login, then restart. After restarting the system interrupt CPU load is 0%. It is boring to start every day two times. But this is a Microsoft feature. Thank you Microsoft.
Some user say it is a problem with the audio driver. Starting any musicplayer "solves" the problem.

Here you can read one of the forum threads: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-sysytem/d17d1332-3c00-402d-9f15-fecee27d1c45

Thanks for the info. I did come across that discussion previously and tried some of the suggestions (play an audio file, update the Realtek driver) all with no improvement.

I just tried a cold boot (computer was off last night) and the CPU load was the usual high, but did your Restart vs. Shut Down and it seems OK. I'll try this again a few times to see what happens.

As it only happens while docked, there clearly is an issue somewhere.

ChrisPanzer

Good thing our sp3s restart so quickly. The Dell standard pcs in my office take FOREVER to restart. A shameful reminder of our mechanized past...

I have exact problem on my SP3 and SP3 Docking Station. Yes, The double reboot does solve the problem , or if you let it boot up to Windows 10 before docking seems to work too

I found this notification of an update for Surface Pro 3 machines...but I have not yet received this update on my machine. Not sure if "Surface Dock" is the same as the "Surface Pro 3 Docking Station" because I notice they sell a different one.

EDIT: It appears the new "Surface Dock" design is for a Surface universal dock, no longer does it have the slide in/out cradle to fit the Surface.

Microsoft has a firmware update for April 2016:

Microsoft driver update for Surface Dock Firmware Update
Microsoft driver update for Surface Dock Integration
  • Surface Dock Integration driver update (v1.0.6.0) improves stability and compatibility with external monitors and passive video adapters.
  • Surface Dock Firmware Update (v.1.2.6.0) improves stability and compatibility with external monitors and passive video adapters.

Here is the link to this page:
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 update history | Surface firmware updates

Last edited:
Double reboots was the only solution I found, until I read another pointing to the "Hey Cortana" option. I have Cortana disabled by default. I turned it on, and enabled the "Hey Cortana" option. The CPU usage goes down. As soon as you disable the "Hey Cortana" option, CPU usage goes up again.

update -- the problem is with the "Realtek High Definition Audio" Microphone Array. If you boot up in the dock, or with any USB device connected AND your Microphone Array is not being used , you will see high CPU usage in System Interrupts and System & Compressed Memory. If the Microphone Array is active at boot time, you will not see abnormal CPU usage with System Interrupts and System and Compressed Memory. Enabling "Hey Cortana" turns the microphone on all the time, so this is why this works! I've also noticed returning out of sleep mode causes the higher cpu usage.

Last edited:

Hard.Wired

@Relativity nailed the problem. Enabling "Hey Cortana" fixes the high System Interrupt CPU usage (on up to 2 logical processors at a time that I have seen). I'll attempt to reinstall the Microphone Array drivers or find another work around as I do not want the "Hey Cortana" feature turned on all the time.

Hard.Wired

I never found a proper fix for this. A complete reinstall of Windows (1803) with latest audio drivers does not work either. I finally just went into the UEFI settings and disabled the onboard audio hardware completely just so this bug and Cortana won't eat my battery for no good reason.

This is a complete deal breaker. This problem did not exist in other versions of Windows 10. I won't be buying or recommending Microsoft hardware until this problem resolved. What a joke.