What's new

CPU running at 49%

JimArneson

My SP3 has an interesting quirk. I noticed the fan running occasionally and have been trying to track down exactly what is going on when it happens.

Here's what I have so far...

Something like two or three times an hour the CPU jumps to nearly 50% and the fan comes on. The Task Manager shows "System" and "Antimalware Service Executable" processes running.

SP3%20CPU%202-XL.png

If I do anything (touch the mouse, screen, or keyboard) the CPU shoots back down to 1%.

SP3%20CPU-X2.png

If I do nothing the SP3 "churns" along for about 10 minutes and then returns back to normal (1%)... but it will eventually start up and do this all over again. I let it run like this all day yesterday and it caused no problems but it does not seem like a good thing.

Any thoughts?

megatronium

This is the phenomenon I've documented and spoke about several times. My opinion is that the SP3 is doing background scanning (which probably requires scanning compressed files which would cause the system to decompress them) and the process is designed to run when you're not actively using the computer. When you begin to use it, the process is paused. If you let it do it's thing it finishes scanning then back to normal. Just an opinion.

OP
J

JimArneson

A few more questions...
  • Do you have any thoughts on why it starts back up every hour or so?
  • Does it do this while on battery as well (I've only paid attention when the SP3 is docked)?
  • Is there any way to control (turn off) the background scanning?

megatronium

A few more questions...
  • Do you have any thoughts on why it starts back up every hour or so?
  • Does it do this while on battery as well (I've only paid attention when the SP3 is docked)?
  • Is there any way to control (turn off) the background scanning?

I don't think it will resume if you let it finish the first time. It doesn't seem to for me. I haven't found a way to turn it off but I imagine it will involve turning off some Microsoft Security Essentials options. I don't think it does it on battery.

When it happens again, please have a look if this icon in the task bar near the clock has a clock, too on the flag
upload_2014-9-10_14-45-43.png

I think it is the maintenance of windows 8 running in the background. It is only working when plugged in, not in battery mode. Daily. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

And this maintenance is only working when plugged and you aren't doing anything for some minutes. When you move something like the cursur it stops and will start again when you haven'T done anything for some minutes

ctitanic

On that screen shot you can see clearly the Anti malware running that means IO activity, system.