What's new

CPU Temp Reaching 100° Celsius

Cimmerian

Shouldn't my CPU be throttling itself before getting to 100° Celsius let alone 90°?

CPU Temp.PNG

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
One would think so, but then one has to question whether such an app is actually accurate on surface devices. I know i've installed a few of the more reputable ones in the past and were quite clearly telling me absolute rubbish regarding the temperatures.

I'm more interested by the notion that it is at 96 degrees with a 15% cpu load.

OP
Cimmerian

Cimmerian

Yeah that doesn't seem right, this is actually my second Surface Book (had mine replaced for screen issues) and my first one never went over 87 using the same program, so I feel like the program must hold some ground.

OP
Cimmerian

Cimmerian

Sorry to keep posting in here but here's another screen shot this time with Core Temp which is getting more accurate CPU load but still extremely high temperatures.

More Cpu Temp.PNG

Seneleron

I get similar temps when playing Heroes Of The Storm. It's high, but technically within spec.

As suggested, Intel XTU is a good place to start, as it not only monitors temps but flat out monitors processor usage and throttling.

Few questions:

Have you tried turning it off and on again? [yes, I'm serious]

Were you doing something drive access intensive [virus scan, large disk cleanup] / Is the indexing service running?

Have you checked to verify the fan is functioning? [If it is, I'm sure you already know with those temps, but it can't hurt to ask]

I'd start by going into task manager and looking for any strange [or just functioning] processes [and verify something's not hitting the drive hard] and start closing things out. Would also go into msconfig/startup and disable anything not absolutely necessary if taskmanager scrub doesn't help (followed by restart)

OP
Cimmerian

Cimmerian

Thanks for all the replies, there was definitely something wrong with it. Eventually it was always running over 90 when it would spike up to 100 it would freeze. I tried restoring it and it was still having the same problems, not to mention it had a cluster of dead pixels. Anyways I got it replaced, this is actually my third one but it seems to be perfect, no light bleed, no dead pixels, no yellow screen tint, no overheating. Lets hope it stays that way or I'll be coming for number four haha they haven't made any money on me!

Last edited: