What's new

CPU Throttling on 15 inch Surface Book 2 after 1709?

wynand32

Yep. Those peaks are about a millisecond long right?

Exactly, they happen so quickly that unless I'm literally focusing on a test for the entire run I tend to miss the spike. It's never been the case that it's hit that level and stayed there.

Mbernert

I purchased the 15 inch model yesterday and has this exact same problem. I took it back to the store and they exchanged it without any problems, except after getting home I see that this unit has the exact same issue. Either there is a bad batch of them, or I think every 15 inch model has the same problem.

Has anyone with the 15 inch model actually tested theirs to see what cpu temps are like? I am able to use the machine, in fact I’ve tried running multiple stress tests just to see if it would crash or catch fire, and it kept running, even though hwinfo and Intel xtu said all 4 cores were pegged at 99-100c.

chekhonte

100c it the upper end for intel cpu's. Considering that you were running a stress test, it makes sense that it would hit 100c. I had a monitor running the with some games at it stayed at 90c which is also what my desktop i7 hits when playing games even with a water cooler.

I purchased the 15 inch model yesterday and has this exact same problem. I took it back to the store and they exchanged it without any problems, except after getting home I see that this unit has the exact same issue. Either there is a bad batch of them, or I think every 15 inch model has the same problem.

Has anyone with the 15 inch model actually tested theirs to see what cpu temps are like? I am able to use the machine, in fact I’ve tried running multiple stress tests just to see if it would crash or catch fire, and it kept running, even though hwinfo and Intel xtu said all 4 cores were pegged at 99-100c.

Not normal since it should withstand a full CPU stress test without reaching 100 oC. This means you can't video edit a full 2 hour length video without thermal throttling your CPU.

Mbernert

100c it the upper end for intel cpu's. Considering that you were running a stress test, it makes sense that it would hit 100c. I had a monitor running the with some games at it stayed at 90c which is also what my desktop i7 hits when playing games even with a water cooler.

100c is definitely not normal. And your desktop should not be hitting 90c watercooled either. I would have someone look at it to find out what is wrong, assuming your ambient temperature isn’t extremely hot.

My desktop is a 6700k overclocked with a custom water loop, under full load it barely breaks 50c, without water cooling I would expect to see maybe 80-85c in extreme cases.

surfaceren

Hi all!

@ Mbernert - I am running into the same issue here - Bought a 15" surface book 2 a few weeks ago, noticed after a day that the cpu was reaching 100c while streaming video through the browser (netflix, plex) I was thinking this can't be right - started running tests using IPDT, and using temp monitoring apps core temp/real temp - needless to say IPDT kept failing with remarks to check the thermal solution - did a full wipe to factory, installed all updates - same results - took back to MS store they swapped me out with a sealed box - This unit appears to idle around 40c with the power mode slider all the way to the left (apparently MS calls this "recommended" ) once I set the power mode slider to the far right (best performance) idle temps go up to mid 50c while I simply type this post, however I notice two of the cores briefly hit 82c - also noticed VID jumps between 1.23 all the way to 1.35 and this was just using firefox with 3 tabs open..

Ran IPDT on this unit and also getting a failure with notes to check thermal solution :/ These temps seem awfully high for just web browsing and streaming video in a browser - Tried playing some games for a few minutes (half life 2, prey) and all cores hit 100c - didn't notice any lag or performance loss as the game was running fine, however - I am no expert with thermal design, but with those temps, it can't be good to hit the TJ max for any sort of duration - not sure if there is anything else I can do, short of taking this unit back to MS for a third try :/ -would appreciate any suggestions or some guidance here! if there are any other tests anyone would like for me to run please advise - Thanks in advance!

Ren

Seems like there are more "runaway" 8650U chips here with excessive voltages leading to very high temperatures. Anyways a 1.2 V constant voltage is way too much for just web browsing. A normal chip would've at least be less than 0.8 V when web browsing and less than 40 degrees at least.
Untitled.jpg

Mbernert

I just got home with my now 4th exchange. Each of the last ones I have setup at the Microsoft store and had them watch while the system hit 100c sitting idle with nothing but hwinfo running. At first he said maybe it was hwinfo causing the problem so we uninstalled and tried intel xtu.

I hope this new unit works, and if not, I hope there's a software fix coming out soon. I really like this machine but I can't justify having any device that randomly runs so hot.

Will post results of this new system later tonight.l

Mbernert

After testing my now 4th exchange, this one has not yet came anywhere close to the higher temps of the previous ones. I have streamed movies, ran doom for about 15 minutes, prime95 for a few minutes, and just did some general browsing. This model is 256gb, as the store is now out of 512 (from my exchanges).

The cpu on this one is sitting at 44-50c idle, has peaked to 82 under load.

Hopefully my previous problems were just a bad batch or something, I don't know.

chekhonte

As some of you pointed out, I don't know what I'm talking about. I take it this is what a bad processor looks like? The only programs running are chrome (3 tabs) and HWiNFO. Power settings are best performance (plugged it). Just want to check with some of you who know more than me before I send it back.

w0VJ9fU.png