What's new

CPU throttling on the i5 and i7 versions

Afy

Appears that the CPU on the i5 and i7 models is throttled by about 20% or more under load.
I assume this is true and would occur under stress. My question though is, how evident is this under normal daily usage, not playing games. Things like running a VM, or doing some DB work etc.

I don't think I have ever noticed it on the SP4 i7, so am wondering if this is a real issue outside of the world of benchmarks and gaming.

No throttling here. What I'm afraid of is the core temp which crept up to 97 degrees Celsius on mine consuming about 25-26W package power per HWInfo32 if I'm gaming.

Mike007

No throttling here. What I'm afraid of is the core temp which crept up to 97 degrees Celsius on mine consuming about 25-26W package power per HWInfo32 if I'm gaming.

My i7 SP is the same. Any kind of high cpu load (prime or cpu stress test) will make the temperatures hit 100c within about 30 seconds until it thermal throttles.
The fan doesn't come on immediately either, always after a minute or so of high load and when it finally does rev up it doesn't really bring down the temperature much at all. The airflow coming out of the vent doesn't even feel very warm either.

^ I managed to keep the thermals thus no throttling ONLY on a 65 degree AC'd room. Otherwise, it won't be able to keep that 26 W heat out of the chassis even with the fans running.