What's new

Crackly Audio

rivernewt

Right now I'm having crackly audio, like I blew a speaker (sort of), but it continues even with headphones on. When I first got my Surface 3, last weekend, it had no sound until I did more updates. Since then I've been checking updates everyday and am currently up to date. Is this a bad driver? Or do I need to return the darn thing???? So disappointing.

malberttoo

Right now I'm having crackly audio, like I blew a speaker (sort of), but it continues even with headphones on. When I first got my Surface 3, last weekend, it had no sound until I did more updates. Since then I've been checking updates everyday and am currently up to date. Is this a bad driver? Or do I need to return the darn thing???? So disappointing.

No sound out of the box is a big red flag. If you want to take the time, I'd do a complete reset on it first and see if it fixes it. Otherwise, I'd exchange it for a new one.

Welcome to the forum!

OP
rivernewt

rivernewt

Thanks Michael! An update gave me sound, but yeah. I keep getting tons of updates everyday. If it's still crackly this weekend I'll take it back. Thanks again!

TristaK

I am having similar issues. Thought it was just a bad video I was watching at first so I did a few tests and it is happening on almost all audio/video. Not sure what to do or if I can fix it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont hear any crackeling in this sample ...

You might try deleting the driver in device manager to force it to reinstall, otherwise it's probably a defect

Another sample or two. :)
Dream On

Bohemian Rhapsody

Last edited:

aokusman

I have the same crackling sound after 3 days. I may just have to exchange it if there is no fix. I love the device though.

aokusman

My device was not up to date. There was a message that updates have been downloaded and ready to be installed.

timfg

I seem to have the same issue - particularly on BBC iPlayer downloads, little pops and drops in the audio. The S3 - which I otherwise love - is up to date. Anyone else getting this? Bit of a deal breaker for me, I want to use it to catch up on TV on the commuter train...

timfg

I seem to have the same issue - particularly on BBC iPlayer downloads, little pops and drops in the audio. The S3 - which I otherwise love - is up to date. Anyone else getting this? Bit of a deal breaker for me, I want to use it to catch up on TV on the commuter train...

Mind you, I'm beginning to conclude this is a 'new device so iPlayer won't work properly' problem, since that's been my experience in the past with iOS and Android... Netflix HD streams are fine, as are Sky Go downloads...