What's new

Solved Creator's Update breaks wifi?

bjanssen

Hi all,

Have you installed the Creator's Update yet? I am one of the lucky few who never had any of the common issues with the Surface Book, although it looks like my luck has now run out! Having just installed the Creator's Update, my wifi is now incredibly slow. (25kbps or so.) I did a full Network Reset in Win10 (which clears the drivers, deletes all settings, wifi spots, everything) and it did not help. Rebooted several times, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or has anyone else had no problems?

I have the i5 Surface Book with dgpu.

Thanks,
BJ

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My SP3 and S3 both intermittently experience very slow wifi (meaning it may work for several hours then fall into the hole for several hours or more) I can't say yet what causes it to come or go.

I have found using a USB wifi adapter works fine, even one that's not technically as capable as the Surface wifi is supposed to be such as the Edimax ac600 dual band adapter although I'm getting one of these in a couple days.

Barry5122

I'm having same issue with my Lenovo laptop, nothing I do seems to make any difference !!! this needs to be fixed asap

jackadision

Hi all,

Have you installed the Creator's Update yet? I am one of the lucky few who never had any of the common issues with the Surface Book, although it looks like my luck has now run out! Having just installed the Creator's Update, my wifi is now incredibly slow. (25kbps or so.) I did a full Network Reset in Win10 (which clears the drivers, deletes all settings, wifi spots, everything) and it did not help. Rebooted several times, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or has anyone else had no problems?

I have the i5 Surface Book with dgpu.

Thanks,
BJ

Hello, Bjanssen

This is one of the common issue of Windows 10 Creators Update, slow Wi-Fi issue appears because of:
1. Hardware Malfunctioning
2. Improper Network configuration
3. Issue in Wireless network card drivers
4. Damaged WiFi router
5. Network account

In order to fix, you need to apply below given tips:

Fix 1: Network Adapter troubleshooter:
Fix 2: Reset a Wi-Fi adapter
Fix 3: Disabling the Power Management
Fix 4: Update a Wi-Fi adapter driver

Source of the above given information is: (removed by Moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello, Bjanssen

This is one of the common issue of Windows 10 Creators Update, slow Wi-Fi issue appears because of:
1. Hardware Malfunctioning
2. Improper Network configuration
3. Issue in Wireless network card drivers
4. Damaged WiFi router
5. Network account

In order to fix, you need to apply below given tips:

Fix 1: Network Adapter troubleshooter:
Fix 2: Reset a Wi-Fi adapter
Fix 3: Disabling the Power Management
Fix 4: Update a Wi-Fi adapter driver

Source of the above given information is: (removed by Moderator)

Uh look I did that already.

PS: I wasn't the moderator that removed the source.

Gadget

This is happening to me too. Every other Windows 10 update breaks something on my surface book. Usually with the camera login. Now wifi...

Gadget

In my case, I found that KB4016871 from a May 2017 security update is breaking wifi for me. It's repeatable. If I uninstall it everything works fine. If I reinstall it, my wifi randomly goes out, and won't work after a reboot without multiple resets.

OP
B

bjanssen

I finally fixed it.

1) Open an Admin Command Prompt window:
Start > All Apps > Windows System -> Right-click "Command Prompt" > More > Run as administrator

2) Get your network adapter name:
powershell Get-NetAdapter

3) Note your adapter's name (mine is: Wi-Fi)

4) Get your network adapter "Receive segment coalescing" (Rsc) settings:
powershell Get-NetAdapterRsc
... Mine listed a table that had 1 row, for adapter name Wi-Fi, that had IPv4Enabled True, and IPv6Enabled True

5) Disable Rsc for your network adapter:
powershell Disable-NetAdapterRsc -Name ADAPTER_NAME_FROM_BEFORE
... Be sure to replace ADAPTER_NAME_FROM_BEFORE with whatever your network adapter name is, without quotes

6) Verify Rsc is disabled for ipv4 and ipv6, on your network adapter:
powershell Get-NetAdapterRsc
... Should now show IPv4Enabled False, and IPv6Enabled False, for your network adapter

7) Re-test your wireless internet connection.