What's new

Creators Update Silence?

MickeyLittle

I'm a little confused as to why I haven't see much, if any reviews here on the new Windows 10 update they started pushing out last week? I installed it the night before and noticed some lag along with loss of storage (my fault on the storage issue) so I rolled it back.

Anyway I have been waiting to hear how it is doing for others since the official release but mums the word.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Like I said in my post above I'm still waiting to see comments here on how it is doing since it was pushed out. All the comments in that thread were from April 9 and earlier and on beta versions.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am running Build 15063.138 now.

I'll test the Marvell adapter to see if it's improved any on my SP3.
Update: making this post was a little laggy so I think it's not fixed yet but I will probably know for sure by eod.

I just rebooted because of High CPU usage and the fan running due to two tasks; System Interrupts and System. This is the fourth time that happened since first installing the CU and the second on build 15063.138.

There was another anomaly that escapes me at the moment otherwise all is well with things I have used.

One downside to using the USB wifi adapter is, it's a little slower waking from sleep so sometimes I get a momentary you're not connected in Edge coming out of a quiet period but a second later it automatically loads the page (still better than what I was getting with the internal adapter though).

Another is on one of my [Routers the USB adapter didn't see the 5ghz SSID until I disabled Dynamic Frequency Selection](Why Some Devices Can't See the Verizon FIOS G1100's 5GHz Network (and the fix) • r/HomeNetworking) on the router by changing the channel from auto to a specific channel in the 36-48 range.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am running Build 15063.138 now.

I'll test the Marvell adapter to see if it's improved any on my SP3.
Update: making this post was a little laggy so I think it's not fixed yet but I will probably know for sure by eod.

I just rebooted because of High CPU usage and the fan running due to two tasks; System Interrupts and System. This is the fourth time that happened since first installing the CU and the second on build 15063.138.

There was another anomaly that escapes me at the moment otherwise all is well with things I have used.

One downside to using the USB wifi adapter is, it's a little slower waking from sleep so sometimes I get a momentary you're not connected in Edge coming out of a quiet period but a second later it automatically loads the page (still better than what I was getting with the internal adapter though).

Another is on one of my [Routers the USB adapter didn't see the 5ghz SSID until I disabled Dynamic Frequency Selection](Why Some Devices Can't See the Verizon FIOS G1100's 5GHz Network (and the fix) • r/HomeNetworking) on the router by changing the channel from auto to a specific channel in the 36-48 range.
Confirmed: web pages can load very slowly using Marvell Wifi adapter and it's much faster with the USB adapter. This issue for me started with installing the CU, prior to that I was not experiencing issues and happens on both my SP3 and S3 with the latest build (15063.138). YMMV.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Confirmed: web pages can load very slowly using Marvell Wifi adapter and it's much faster with the USB adapter. This issue for me started with installing the CU, prior to that I was not experiencing issues and happens on both my SP3 and S3 with the latest build (15063.138). YMMV.

Thanks for the updates. You mention these build numbers so are these beta versions or the final release version that you are referring to? Sorry for being so slow on this!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the updates. You mention these build numbers so are these beta versions or the final release version that you are referring to? Sorry for being so slow on this!
This is the final release version now. you can see your build number by running Winver.

I believe the First Public Downloads for Creators Update were Build 15063.13 from April 5th thru 11th and Build 15063.138 was posted April 11th when Windows Updates started.

Last edited:

ScottyS

For me the Creators Update fixed an issue I had connected to some WiFi networks at work, especially a new 5G WLAN. But it broke Edge, causing it to freeze frequently, but the last Cumulative Update fixed that.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

For me the Creators Update fixed an issue I had connected to some WiFi networks at work, especially a new 5G WLAN. But it broke Edge, causing it to freeze frequently, but the last Cumulative Update fixed that.

Yeah mine seems pretty stable now. I'm on 15063.250

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine has taken a turn for the worse alas. everything works greaat except joy of joys, it has totally anhialated office. Despite a reinstall, I'm no longer able to open any desktop office application. Just opens as a grey window. I'm not buying office 365 just so I can use the mobile versions which work. Openoffice it is.

Russ

[QUOTE="hughlle, post: 169807, member: 14388" it has totally anhialated office. Despite a reinstall, I'm no longer able to open any desktop office application.[/QUOTE]

Hugh --
That is puzzling. I have two desktops on the Inside Ring -- currently running Build 16184. I have a SurfacePro and two more desktops running the production build of "Creators Update." All of these machines have Microsoft Office 2010 installed, and in all cases it runs just fine. I also have MS Office 2013 which is not currently installed -- just to keep continuity between the systems. I could try it if you want.

There is more to this puzzle -- somewhere.

Take care,
Russ