What's new

Curious wifi connection issues...

mitchellvii

After the most recent updates have been having WiFi scanning and connection issues.

1) All available WiFi signals show up but when selected take up to 20 seconds to connect.
2) Once connected they will say connection is "limited" and there is no internet.
3) Oddly, the closer I am to the router, the worse the problem becomes.
4) I use DD-WRT firmware on my router and thus am able to set the transmission power. Again, strangely I am able to connect better with a lower power setting.
5) Even when I can get a solid connection, webpage loads are slow and sporadic (Considering Speedtest is showing me at 33 mbps down.)

So, something is broken in WiFi in latest updates. Seems to be transmission power related as closeness to a fast powerful signal actually makes it worse.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Oops just saw another thread very similar to this one. Not sure how I missed that. Oh well, Mods if you wish to merge please do :).

tonyz3

Its not like every other topic doesnt have 10 threads.... but i have had Verizon for about 10years with only 3-5mbps, but recently -last week changed to Comcast and constantly show 30-50mbps however as soon as i leave the room my surface pro goes from 5bars to 3. I decided to grab this to try out. Amazon.com: Amped Wireless High Power Wi-Fi Adapter for Windows 8 (TAN1): Computers & Accessories well it does work as advertised. 5bars always. I walked to my neighbors house and still 5bars. I leave it plugged into my external dell for now and use it when i am in dt mode.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Its not like every other topic doesnt have 10 threads.... but i have had Verizon for about 10years with only 3-5mbps, but recently -last week changed to Comcast and constantly show 30-50mbps however as soon as i leave the room my surface pro goes from 5bars to 3. I decided to grab this to try out. Amazon.com: Amped Wireless High Power Wi-Fi Adapter for Windows 8 (TAN1): Computers & Accessories well it does work as advertised. 5bars always. I walked to my neighbors house and still 5bars. I leave it plugged into my external dell for now and use it when i am in dt mode.

My problem isn't from far away - I have a base router and a wifi extender. My problem is when I am 5 feet or less from the router. The closer I am the worse it gets. I had my router pumped to 251mv and dropped it back to 150mv which actually helped. I would drop it further but it's a big house and the extender needs juice to pick up the signal.

Sit

Wow, this looks really cool. I hate to zap the USB though but for the few times I have marginal issues, this would be a game changer.:eek:

Sit

My problem isn't from far away - I have a base router and a wifi extender. My problem is when I am 5 feet or less from the router. The closer I am the worse it gets. I had my router pumped to 251mv and dropped it back to 150mv which actually helped. I would drop it further but it's a big house and the extender needs juice to pick up the signal.

Interesting issue. I went back to 8.0 because of Wi-Fi / Bluetooth issues. Its better than 8.1 but still not perfect. I've taken notice of the strong signal / poor reception you state and will try some experimenting here. I have two wireless routers and the surface pro usually picks up on the weaker one regularly. Hmmm.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Interesting issue. I went back to 8.0 because of Wi-Fi / Bluetooth issues. Its better than 8.1 but still not perfect. I've taken notice of the strong signal / poor reception you state and will try some experimenting here. I have two wireless routers and the surface pro usually picks up on the weaker one regularly. Hmmm.

Yeah seems like after 8.1, the SP is easily overwhelmed by a nearby powerful signal.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Marvel Adapter that Microsoft used on both of the devices supports MiraCast and there is a theory that some of the issues with the WiFi is related to it be disabled in 8.0 and now that it is enabled in 8.1 there are new issues, especially with routers that are a few years old.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

The Marvel Adapter that Microsoft used on both of the devices supports MiraCast and there is a theory that some of the issues with the WiFi is related to it be disabled in 8.0 and now that it is enabled in 8.1 there are new issues, especially with routers that are a few years old.

Damn you Miracast, why must you haunt me?!

Lol, kidding. Hmm, that is interesting. It is amazing how often Microsoft breaks what we all used by adding what we never asked for *. Wonder if there is a way for us to fix this by disabling Miracast (as I do not use it).

* I think I have discovered MS's problem. You know all those hipsters dancing in their SP commercials? That's their Focus Testing Group! They're all stoned. Honestly it explains a lot.

tonyz3

One thing i did notice in 8.1 was the selective suspend was enable again. You may want to check that also.

psnative

When i'm far from the router, the connection shows three bars but is slower than dogsnot. it has been this way for two days...when was that last update? I took my other computer to the same spot & worked fine so i'm thinkin' it's the SP.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

One thing i did notice in 8.1 was the selective suspend was enable again. You may want to check that also.

Don't know what this is.

Also maybe setting wifi adapter performance to maximum in power settings?

Last edited: