What's new

Curious wifi connection issues...

tonyz3

In 8.0 people were able to stop the limited connection issuesI by disabling the selective suspend option in the Wi-Fi driver properties. I noticed that in 8.1 it went back to being checked enabled.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

In 8.0 people were able to stop the limited connection issuesI by disabling the selective suspend option in the Wi-Fi driver properties. I noticed that in 8.1 it went back to being checked enabled.

Thanks. Turned it off. Let's see if that is it. Still seems to take forever to connect though. My PC connects pretty much instantly.

N.G.

I've gone from a close to top of the line (year old) Linksys to a top of the line Asus which says (and small net builder confirms) gets 50% better range. I added high galn external antennas which get 3db better power at the point of service. Then Tuesday (strange day of the month, right) my replacement for the wedge mouse, a sculpt comfort Win 8 mouse goes off line and won't reconnect, although the SP discovers it. Now I find something has reenabled selective suspend. I've spent 3-4 hours trying to get the SP back the way it was when I upgraded the router, and it isn't there. You'd think they would tell you if an update is going to change a setting change you made to make the thing work. If it wasn't for this board I would have returned the SP 2 months ago. Tried to report the problem and their SP board wouldn't take the problem report. More than one way to make your quality numbers look better. Baah.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well nothing I have tried so far has worked. It is clearly a proximity issue. My router pumps out a very powerful signal and if I am within 5 feet of it my SP simply will not connect. I move 10 feet away and connection is golden.

I will try reducing the power output of the transmission to 71mW and see if that helps just hope it doesn't kill wireless speed on my PC. I have only noticed this since latest updates so obviously they added something which broke something else.

Just as example. 5 feet form the router I get "limited" connection at best. I go to next room and I'm getting 24mbps at 26 ping which is quite fantastic for a tablet.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok, reduced my router to transmit at 71 mW (the default curiously) and now I can connect just fine 5 feet away. Apparently I was overwhelming my SP with the sheer power of the signal. That along with my electric personality just proved too much :)

Also even at 71 mW my wireless extender seems to still be in the green signal-wise so it's all good.

DOTTAT

Ok, reduced my router to transmit at 71 mW (the default curiously) and now I can connect just fine 5 feet away. Apparently I was overwhelming my SP with the sheer power of the signal. That along with my electric personality just proved too much :)

Also even at 71 mW my wireless extender seems to still be in the green signal-wise so it's all good.

Too much power can create major snr problems in a noisy environment. There are a couple dd-wrt posts regarding it. Also, remember that just because the router is transmitting that hot does not mean your tablet will. So you might see 5 bars but the router won't see 5 bars from you.

pierre118

@mitchellvii, which driver version you have for the Marvell Avastar 350N on the SP? I switched to version 14.69.17056.73, 11/16/2012. Already 1 week no problems whatever anymore. A steady 270.0 Mbps connection, all the time. Maybe you can try it.

btw I have Selective Suspend enabled(default in 8.0)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

@mitchellvii, which driver version you have for the Marvell Avastar 350N on the SP? I switched to version 14.69.17056.73, 11/16/2012. Already 1 week no problems whatever anymore. A steady 270.0 Mbps connection, all the time. Maybe you can try it.

btw I have Selective Suspend enabled(default in 8.0)

I have the newer driver; however, since reducing the power on my router to 71 mW I have not had any connection issues. I think I was just overpowering it when nearby.

270 mbps? Holy God, what are you on, fiber optic?

Last edited:

DOTTAT

Haha...not hard to do at my work with wireless n. Then again I work for a company that starts with c and ends with t and is one of the largest isp's in the us. Ahhhh newsgroups rock on the sp with solid state drive and a fat pipe to the net...

N.G.

Broke down and bought the Amped adapter. Put it in and it seems to have ended slow connections, incomplete page loads and freezing. I was getting them even with decent connections. Got it clipped to my Moko cover. Leaves me wondering if I got a SP with a bad Marvel chip, or the whole SP design and implementation is defective.