What's new

Custom Fan to Reduce Throttling

mohcho

I was thinking about tape-on packets of dry ice for when I know I need more cpu power!

How about this? I had an old heat sink lying around from some broken machines so I was playing around with this concept. It actually does work where the heat sink did get warm and pull heat off the back of the SP3, but since it was flat, the built in venting probably didn't work as well as it should have.

Attachments

• HS SP3.jpg
    HS SP3.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 681
OP
Cothek

Cothek

How about this? I had an old heat sink lying around from some broken machines so I was playing around with this concept. It actually does work where the heat sink did get warm and pull heat off the back of the SP3, but since it was flat, the built in venting probably didn't work as well as it should have.

I've actually tried this with a copper heatsink and it did get warm but provided no real performance boost plus its much heavier and bulkier than a fan but it does use less power ;)

mohcho

Well, I don't have access to a 3D printer, so I don't have the luxury of making my own fan attachment. Since the heatsink is a passive one, it probably doesn't work as well as the fan, but in combination, it might be a better solution.

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Well, I don't have access to a 3D printer, so I don't have the luxury of making my own fan attachment. Since the heatsink is a passive one, it probably doesn't work as well as the fan, but in combination, it might be a better solution.

The problem with a heatsink is that the thermal transfer will never be adequate enough unless you use a thermal compound which would make using it a little inconvenient. But don't let me talk you out of it, see what you can do.

OP
Cothek

Cothek

Wait....now we're talking about putting HUGE HEAT SINKS on the SP3???!?! Really??

No offence but let people do what they want with their stuff. If mohcho wants to strap a heatsink to his SP3, let him. I for one won't be but that's my prerogative.

mohcho

I was just messing around with it to see if it would help. By no means am I thinking of strapping on the heat sink to my SP3. Having a desk fan blowing at the back of the SP3 works better.

OP
Cothek

Cothek

To update you guys, here are the results from a few tests last night and this morning:

For this test I rand the XTU CPU load test at my home and after the TDP dropped to 10W I plugged in the fan. The CPU test starts after the first spiked drop in temp on the left and you can probably tell when I plugged the fan in.
08-12 Intel CPU Balanced.png

This morning I did the opposite with the GPU test while at work. First I ran the test with the fan then I unplugged it to see the results.
08-12 Intel GPU Balanced.png

Stephan

To update you guys, here are the results from a few tests last night and this morning:

For this test I rand the XTU CPU load test at my home and after the TDP dropped to 10W I plugged in the fan. The CPU test starts after the first spiked drop in temp on the left and you can probably tell when I plugged the fan in.View attachment 3553

This morning I did the opposite with the GPU test while at work. First I ran the test with the fan then I unplugged it to see the results.
View attachment 3554

Wow ! The results are GREAT !!!

How much weight is your custom fan ?
When do you think you could share the 3d file with us ?
I don't have a 3d printer but I'll definitly made it print in a printer shop !