What's new

daisy chaining surface pro 3, SP3 screen disabled

TimM

I've seen posts about this for SP2 but not much for SP3.

I have the i5 8Gb version of the SP3. It is connected to 2 Dell U2414 (1080p) monitors via mini-display port and then daisy chained to the 2nd monitor. I have enabled the DP 1.2 mode on both Dell monitors. I can display the screen on both Dell monitors with extended mode enabled. However, the SP3 screen is disabled.

Anyone have a solution. Is there something I'm missing? My understanding was that Sp3 i5 could display all 3 in this situation.

Also, as it is now, the daisy chained monitor (end monitor) flickers intermittently.

JesseDiaz

Hmmm...I did the very same thing with Dell monitors....I made sure that DP 1.2 was enabled on both...and all three monitors were going ( including the SP3). THe monitors had 3 DP ports...one mini and one full for the INPUT and one FULL for the OUTPUT. So I connected a mini to full cable to the first, then a mini to full from the first to the second one.
Of course you have to go into the screen resolution on your SP3 to enable the monitors

OP
T

TimM

Hmmm...I did the very same thing with Dell monitors....I made sure that DP 1.2 was enabled on both...and all three monitors were going ( including the SP3). THe monitors had 3 DP ports...one mini and one full for the INPUT and one FULL for the OUTPUT. So I connected a mini to full cable to the first, then a mini to full from the first to the second one.
Of course you have to go into the screen resolution on your SP3 to enable the monitors

Hmm well that is encouraging that it is working for you. The only difference I can see from my setup to yours is that I've got SP3--> MDP--> Full DP for the 1st monitor, then Display Port Out (from monitor) to MDP on 2nd monitor. When I go to screen resolution, I see "Dell U2414H(DisplayPort)" and "DellU2414H(miniDisplayPort)" . There is also a greyed out "Mobile PC Display" that will not work in any combination with the above two.

If I can dig up another display port out to --> full display port cable, I'll see if that makes a difference

JesseDiaz

Also when I first connected the 3rd monitor ( second external ) I had to click on the monitor and then go to the drop down liwst where you would choose to MIRROR or Extend and there was an ENABLE MONITOR or something like that.......
Once I did this I had 3 displays

OP
T

TimM

Weird, so I set it to SP3 and the 2nd monitor which caused the 1st monitor to go into power saving mode. Then, I was able to select extended this display on the mobile PC display( definitely was not an option before). Now everything is working great, my Citrix app that was having cursor issues seems to have stopped (fingers crossed) as has the screen flickering I was describing above.

Not sure what exactly was going on though, hopefully this will stick!

Thanks for the help

JesseDiaz

Weird, so I set it to SP3 and the 2nd monitor which caused the 1st monitor to go into power saving mode. Then, I was able to select extended this display on the mobile PC display. Now everything is working great, my Citrix app that was having cursor issues seems to have stopped (fingers crossed) as has the screen flickering I was describing above.

Not sure what exactly was going on though, hopefully this will stick!

Thanks for the help
Keep us updated...I know for me this is all new so the more information we have the better...GOOD LUCK!