What's new

Day 2 with SB - Uh Oh

SeanP

Yesterday, everything but one item seemed to be ok.

I am still having a major issue getting the screen to remove cleaning from the keyboard base. The right side removes easily when I hear the click but the left side stays in place and the only way to get it to remove is yank it hard, and I mean hard, and it's awkward and I feel like I am going to break it. ROUGH.

Other issues that have now cropped up:

1. Screen turns this greenish hue when scrolling through some websites and won't stop for 5-10 min.
2. Driver error pops up occasionally but then says it resolved itself.
3. Cursor stops responding and won't respond without a restart.
4. Putting machine into connected standby is a total nightmare drag on battery. After 4 hours last night at 100% it dropped to 72%!!! 72!!! Losing 28% over 4 hours for doing nothing is a massive issue.

Now, everything it would seem is easily resolved with a software fix. Ok...fine.

But this inability for the screen to remove clean and easy is an issue, and I am seeing it on other forums already. When I remove it with force it makes a big "pop" sound as well.

Not cool MS, not cool.

I'm going to find a MS store and hope that I can exchange it after they see the issues I am encountering.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The battery issue is more a win 10 issue than a book issue. Typically if i leave either my S3 or SP3 on standby overnight and not plugged in then i'll wake up to find them both completely drained.

Sure makes me glad that the UK have a later release date!

mtalinm

I hate to say it, but I don't buy MS 1st-gen hardware anymore because Panos consistently lies and exaggerates while shipping buggy stuff. Some of my favorites: type cover 2 being "completely silent", Surface Pro 3 "perfectly lapable" and the list goes on. Plus, I had horrendous reliability problems wih my SP3 and am no surprised that SB owners are seeing the same. he just overpromises.

mkenny28

Yesterday, everything but one item seemed to be ok.

I am still having a major issue getting the screen to remove cleaning from the keyboard base. The right side removes easily when I hear the click but the left side stays in place and the only way to get it to remove is yank it hard, and I mean hard, and it's awkward and I feel like I am going to break it. ROUGH.

Other issues that have now cropped up:

1. Screen turns this greenish hue when scrolling through some websites and won't stop for 5-10 min.
2. Driver error pops up occasionally but then says it resolved itself.
3. Cursor stops responding and won't respond without a restart.
4. Putting machine into connected standby is a total nightmare drag on battery. After 4 hours last night at 100% it dropped to 72%!!! 72!!! Losing 28% over 4 hours for doing nothing is a massive issue.

Now, everything it would seem is easily resolved with a software fix. Ok...fine.

But this inability for the screen to remove clean and easy is an issue, and I am seeing it on other forums already. When I remove it with force it makes a big "pop" sound as well.

Not cool MS, not cool.

I'm going to find a MS store and hope that I can exchange it after they see the issues I am encountering.

I would stop trying to take the screen off. There is obviously something wrong with it and you probably don't want to damage it anymore lest they accuse you of breaking it.

There seems to be a display driver issue. That's to be expected. Companies who have been releasing laptops for over a decade still have launch day issues. However, I'd most definitely get the SB replaced if the screen isn't detaching cleanly.

Kif

There seems to be a display driver issue. That's to be expected. Companies who have been releasing laptops for over a decade still have launch day issues. However, I'd most definitely get the SB replaced if the screen isn't detaching cleanly.

Your probably correct and it's sad that even Microsoft can't get the drivers right on their own hardware.

Your probably correct and it's sad that even Microsoft can't get the drivers right on their own hardware.

It's difficult to account for every single scenario and set up that people have. This is why they opened up the Windows 10 lines to mass beta testing. It allows them to avoid many issues. You try coding for 2 billion usage scenarios. It isn't easy. With that being said, I wish all of you early adopters the best of luck. I'm looking to you guys to purchase mine. [emoji6]

malberttoo

After this fiasco, Panos Panay has ZERO credibility.

I wouldn't go that far. Everything has issues when it's first released, and no doubt without Panos' passion for the devices to begin with, we wouldn't even have a Surface Pro 3, 4, or Book.