What's new

Day 2 with SB - Uh Oh

netuser

It's called regression testing. And you're right, they can't test every scenario.

Looks like rushing the product out the door to meet the launch date before it was really ready.
Review units were still super buggy and crashing days before release and they were releasing new drivers/firmware to fix major issues right at launch day.
This should have been sorted out earlier.
The latch release hardware/software should be a much smoother experience. Even when the latch release works properly, it looks very inelegant and rough around the edges in the way it pulls off.
That is not an example of testing "every scenario" Releasing the latch smoothly is basic.
When people start installing lots of strange software and trying to use odd old printers etc, then that will be when the "every scenario" scenario comes into play.

One of the manager's at my Microsoft Store even said that the launch was certainly rushed. There was supposed to be more time before the release date.

On day three.

• Screen flip issue has resolved itself. Crazy.
  • Other than the larger / high res screen, I am still uncertain if this will replace my SP3. Will probably make my decision on day 29
  • In clipboard mode, I have noticed software glitches. For example, the Win 10 mail app occasionally crashes. Notification side bar opens but does not function on occasion
  • On-screen keyboard works well although I find myself making a lot of mistakes
  • I really need to find a nice form fitting case for the the screen when in clipboard mode. I will be using it this way 50% of the time
  • Wobble does not seem to be an issue. The store demo had a horrible wobble that almost made me walk out. My model is tight with minimal wobble. Lapability is good.
The good news is all my issues seem to be software / firmware related.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really need to find a nice form fitting case for the the screen when in clipboard mode. I will be using it this way 50% of the time
Note: it was designed/intended to be use 20% of the time in clipboard mode. Saw that somewhere in one of the interviews I believe.

Kif

It's difficult to account for every single scenario and set up that people have. This is why they opened up the Windows 10 lines to mass beta testing. It allows them to avoid many issues. You try coding for 2 billion usage scenarios. It isn't easy. With that being said, I wish all of you early adopters the best of luck. I'm looking to you guys to purchase mine. [emoji6]

True, but it's frustrating because these issues have always plagued Windows. The excuse in the past has been the hardware vendor aren't in perfect sync with Microsoft. However that excuse doesn't fly with Surface products since Microsoft is controlling both ends. Hopefully feedback will trickle up from the Surface team to the Windows development team.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
True, but it's frustrating because these issues have always plagued Windows. The excuse in the past has been the hardware vendor aren't in perfect sync with Microsoft. However that excuse doesn't fly with Surface products since Microsoft is controlling both ends. Hopefully feedback will trickle up from the Surface team to the Windows development team.
Well, hardware is still hardware... Intel Display Driver, Marvel Wireless Driver, XX Audio Driver etc. etc. Although MS has their fingerprints all over them so now I guess its a finger pointing Mexican Standoff in a house of mirrors. I agree with you though, ultimately MS has the responsibility here and the ball. The clock is running.

fonzman78

I wouldn't go that far. Everything has issues when it's first released, and no doubt without Panos' passion for the devices to begin with, we wouldn't even have a Surface Pro 3, 4, or Book.

Great post. Folks, without this passion we wouldn't have a SB. Just think back to the SPro1. Smaller, black finish, single position kickstand. Yet we all jumped on it because we saw the vision. A tablet that could also be a laptop. Then came the SPro2. The naysayers were all spelling doom and gloom. But MS kept moving forward and surprised everyone with the SPro3. Very nice device! For me, it was perfect. I didn't think they could do better.

Then they announced the SB. Wow. A laptop that could be a tablet. This was back to my Toshiba/HP roots but with a screen that comes off. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go this direction since my SPro3 is working great. However, after just 2.5 days with the SB, I'm 100% convinced that the SB best fits my needs. I don't know what MS can do better. It's definitely a first version product so I am patient with issues as they crop up. My positive attitude and excitement for this new device trumps all minor issues. MS will succeed with the device. It is AWESOME.

Naysayers be damned... :)

BillJ

upload_2015-10-28_12-35-51.png

Evolution is a dynamic process; for every great advance, there are some stumbles. The vision of "OS agnosticism" is truly important, and will lead the world to better information management. I believe that Microsoft is truly prescient in promoting their new tech.

Note: it was designed/intended to be use 20% of the time in clipboard mode. Saw that somewhere in one of the interviews I believe.

I wonder if I should go back to the SP3 or maybe a SP4 then. If the SB is not designed for the wear and tear (just speculating) of 50% clipboard usage, then perhaps this is the wrong device for me. Either way I still think someone should make a sleeve for the clipboard so when carrying it around / using it there is some protection.

So far no issues today...no crashes, freezes or issues.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if I should go back to the SP3 or maybe a SP4 then. If the SB is not designed for the wear and tear (just speculating) of 50% clipboard usage, then perhaps this is the wrong device for me. Either way I still think someone should make a sleeve for the clipboard so when carrying it around / using it there is some protection.

So far no issues today...no crashes, freezes or issues.
It wasn't wear and tear, I think they were referring to no ports, & battery life mainly. i.e only 25% of the battery is in the clipboard. They stated a use case of someone showing a presentation. Assuming that's an up close and personal sharing thing... obviously you can present and project to a big screen while plugged in.

OP
S

SeanP

I would stop trying to take the screen off. There is obviously something wrong with it and you probably don't want to damage it anymore lest they accuse you of breaking it.

Found a MS store while traveling today.

The tech worked on it for a bit trying to see if it was a software issue but he concluded it is most definitely a hardware problem with the left side of the screen not releasing at all.

Now I need to initiate a replacement which I guess will take a while. The MS store did not have any machines in stock and don't expect any for 3-4 weeks.

Nightmare.

He did tell me that machine isn't damaged from removal but could be over time.