What's new

Dead battery in SP3. Impossible to get it serviced by Microsoft

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
iPad battery service is $99 for all ipads, including the Pro. Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

Unfortunately MS would not sell me extended service after I missed the very short initial window of opportunity to purchase it. Apple will sell a warranty any time within the first year. And from experience, when you are close on the warranty timing, they have been extremely accommodating.

Thanks. That was my mistake. I was under the general servicing tab and missed the battery one. In which case, yeah, $425 is rather expensive in comparison.

OP
Z

zhenya

No problem. Again, I really don't have any problem paying for service since I knew I was at risk not having it covered. If I had dropped it for instance, I would be ok paying that replacement fee. But having to pay the same $450 it'd cost me if I was clumsy for a battery that failed 2 months out of warranty is a big ask.

Jay Marino

Apple service is great. It's definitely something that MS needs to study and learn from. I have had an iPhone out of warranty and got milk spilled on it at the bottom of a diaper bag. I brought it in and they replaced it for free. They didn't have to replace it, but they just did it. They stand FIRM behind their products and service from my experience, which is why they are the most profitable company in the world. They know that we will continue to purchase $800 items from them every few years. I prefer windows to mac, however for phones, I cannot switch away from the iPhone.

ipaq_101

I would say MS Complete is pretty awesome. I went into the MS store for a broken mini display port, it got pushed in (I use it a lot). They saw that I had MS complete and asked the stock room guy if they had a replacement SP3, they did not. So they said would you mind if we gave you a SP4 in the same configuration? Guess my response. In and out in 15 minutes and paid $0. I find that going to the store always yields postive results and yes the story would have been different if I didn't have the MS complete warranty, which set to expire in September this year.

OP
Z

zhenya

I have no doubt my experience would have been different if I could walk into a store. However as stated, not so easy in my location. In any case, Microsoft pitches the Surface line as a business tool. Stores are great for consumers. Businesses need on-site or mail-in service they can count on.

At this point the best service I have received so far has been through the chat suggested here - I actually have them supposedly escalating my case and I have received follow-up emails from the representative as promised. They expect it will be another day or two before they have an answer for me though...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no doubt my experience would have been different if I could walk into a store. However as stated, not so easy in my location. In any case, Microsoft pitches the Surface line as a business tool. Stores are great for consumers. Businesses need on-site or mail-in service they can count on.

At this point the best service I have received so far has been through the chat suggested here - I actually have them supposedly escalating my case and I have received follow-up emails from the representative as promised. They expect it will be another day or two before they have an answer for me though...
And that's why all those business focused resellers like CDW, Ingram, Insight, etc. etc. exist.
Microsoft Surface laptops

Chuck_IV

I would say MS Complete is pretty awesome. I went into the MS store for a broken mini display port, it got pushed in (I use it a lot). They saw that I had MS complete and asked the stock room guy if they had a replacement SP3, they did not. So they said would you mind if we gave you a SP4 in the same configuration? Guess my response. In and out in 15 minutes and paid $0. I find that going to the store always yields postive results and yes the story would have been different if I didn't have the MS complete warranty, which set to expire in September this year.
That should have been $50. Consider yourself lucky to get it for $0. Either way tho, yes, with MS complete, things work very smoothly, normally a quick swap(albeit limited to 2 total).

ipaq_101

That should have been $50. Consider yourself lucky to get it for $0. Either way tho, yes, with MS complete, things work very smoothly, normally a quick swap(albeit limited to 2 total).

Haha yea, I would have gladly paid $50 to get a new SP4, but you are right I am lucky that I didn't have to pay anything.