What's new

Dear MS, can you PLEASE get your act together on these updates?

Buelligan

I too have not had any issues with any updates. All updates on my SP have been smooth. So my question is, if this is an issue with the update would not ALL installs have an issue. Would it not be individually hardware specific? How can a flawed update install flawlessly on some? Just curious.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well, I ran the "Update Troubleshooter" which found some errors, then tried installing each update individually which promptly still failed at 15%.

The weird thing is that I went into my Distribution folder, deleted all the updates then tried to install them one at a time but when I reboot it is still trying to install all of them, so who the **** knows? How do I clear out the updates so I can do just one at a time? Next step will be to call Paranormal State.

** Thing that is the weirdest about this is that this is a fully clean install. How the hell do you get update fails on a clean install?

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I too have not had any issues with any updates. All updates on my SP have been smooth. So my question is, if this is an issue with the update would not ALL installs have an issue. Would it not be individually hardware specific? How can a flawed update install flawlessly on some? Just curious.

Mine have been smooth like a bad case of diarrhea.

Buelligan

Mine have been smooth like a bad case of diarrhea.

Mitchell, I was only bringing this up as another direction to seeking an answer to what must be frustrating as heck. Meaning if it was the fault of the update wouldn't mine and others flawless update be just as frustrating? Could it be specific to some machines or maybe a corrupted download? Are all updates coming from the same source or are there multiple sources? Just thinking out loud.

pallentx

I have not had these kind of update issues, but I have experienced insane slowness in the store and updates that hang for days, but eventually complete. MS does need to get their act together. It almost seems like the update servers cant handle the traffic or something. If they get their wish and sell a lot of tablets, they will have a lot of unhappy customers on their hands - and not because of a missing start button.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Mitchell, I was only bringing this up as another direction to seeking an answer to what must be frustrating as heck. Meaning if it was the fault of the update wouldn't mine and others flawless update be just as frustrating? Could it be specific to some machines or maybe a corrupted download? Are all updates coming from the same source or are there multiple sources? Just thinking out loud.

Lol, relax dude. I wasn't coming down on you. I was just me being me. You'll get used to it after a while. :)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I think I may have identified the problem and why some people are experiencing issue and others not.

If you have automatic updates installed, ONLY install the automatic updates when they appear and NEVER do a "Check for updates". When you do that things get weird on you. Did another full wipe and reinstall and so far have only been installing recommended updates at the time Windows recommends them and no problems.

** In case you have Office on your computer you can still "Search for updates" on those but install ONLY the Office updates.

^^^^^

Tested and confirmed, this works.

Last edited:

Buelligan

Lol, relax dude. I wasn't coming down on you. I was just me being me. You'll get used to it after a while. :)

Oh its all good, I just wanted to be sure you knew I was only helping. Oh I have noticed you and the "flak" you get. Its kind of entertaining LOL. I am as "relaxed" as they come.

As far as your solution, I do believe I have installed all updates as the automatic required. I have done check for updates but they were never system updates, just Defender definitions. So that may be the difference for sure. I would be curious to hear if others who had trouble, "checked for updates" and those who didn't, were they automatic?