What's new

Debating between i3 and i5

chankoedo

How about battery lifetime?

A text somewhere said that the i3 version will come along with a smaller battery, so that in the end, you won't see a longer battery lifetime in comparison to the i5 model. Is that correct?

Another article told me that the i3 version calls for more energy because its lack of power so that you will be faced with an even weaker battery lifetime?!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

A text somewhere said that the i3 version will come along with a smaller battery, so that in the end, you won't see a longer battery lifetime in comparison to the i5 model. Is that correct?

Another article told me that the i3 version calls for more energy because its lack of power so that you will be faced with an even weaker battery lifetime?!
That would be one hell of a way to sabotage a model they're already going to have trouble selling...

scottysize

Again? We just had this question. Here's what i told the other guy:

I'm the person that says spend the extra money on processor and RAM upgrades to begin with. I cannot recommend getting an i3. I just can't. However, in your case, I don't see how it would be that bad if you went that route. I just will never tell you to go that route.

malberttoo

Same battery on all models.

Whichever article said that the i3 consumes more power, is wrong.

MDS

Wonder what the resale on the I3 will be compared to the I5. That might be another thing to consider.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wonder what the resale on the I3 will be compared to the I5. That might be another thing to consider.
Indeed. I was looking at selling either my 16gb n10 or 16gb n7. That is nothing but a storage option, and well, I'm not selling them now. Just for 16gb vs 32gb, you loose a hell of a lot more money with the 16gb compared to the 32gb, disproportionately more. Not worth my time selling them.

Kif

Why all the hate for the i3? I think it's a very good value for the price. It would be perfect for someone like my wife who only browses the web and Citrix into work.

sdreamer

I don't think ram will realm be the problem but more on storage. 64 GB is a bit tight and I doubt they're using Wimboot to save on some room; then again a Microsd could be a work around. Also for people with 4 GB of ram its expected that Windows uses quite a bit because of superfetch. Its preloading stuff to ram of stuff you use often. It was one of the complaints of Vista even though it sped up performance. Why have free ram laying around you paid for when it can be put to use. I am always around 3.5/4 GB used busy. Never really go outside of that even when I use PhotoShop. Windows will adjust and relocate ram where need be. The only time id imagine you need oodles of ram is for demanding video work, really heavy photo editing or heavy gaming.