What's new

Debating between two i5 models

jtcb

Hi all,

I am about to buy a SP4 for the following usage but I can't decide between the 4GB or 8GB model, I don't think I will ever need a 17. I don't want the m3 just because I don't want lowest model although I think I might be able to get away with it, even the S3? I think i5 is the sweet spot as it provide enough power and more future-proofing.

I know more ram is always better. However, the 8GB option forces me to also get the 256GB storage which I don't think I will need. I can always make use of the USB3.0 and SD card. It is a $400 difference between the two models. So which option is the best option for me?

Also, do I need to worry about stuff like anti-virus, hacker and internet security as I would for a desktop PC?

Does SP4 comes with a recovery/backup disc for Win10?

Work on MS Word and Excel
Browse the internet
Watch Youtube and other online steaming videos.
Light games such as pacman

Last edited:

leeshor

I'm thinking that either if the i5 4 or 8 GB models will likely work for you. No manufacturers send their systems out with any backup/recovery disks any more. Initially it was in an effort to save a few cents but Windows 10 has made that less necessary than previous OSs. Windows 10 has the ability to create a recovery image natively and the install files/image can be downloaded freely from Microsoft.

You would o well to use Macrium Reflect to do periodic images to be able to restore the entire system in case of a disaster.

Last edited:

Peacy

i have the i5 4gb model, i just dont need double the storage space.

my usage is same as your bar office programs, working great for me its very quick, ive used it alot to stream games from my xbox one aswell.

nirurin

There is no point upgrading the m4/4gb to the i5/4gb for those programs. You'll barely notice the difference.

The only i5 worth getting is the 8gb/256, mostly because of the ram. This will help if you do a lot of multitasking. But it's also a £300 jump, so it's only worth it if you really *have* to multitask, and can't close programs you're not using. (Or if you use more intensive programs, like huge photoshop files or videos, but it doesn't sound like you do that).

I have the m3, and it runs photoshop nicely, and word processing programs won't even tax it. In fact, unless you end up with 10+ browser tabs open while using word and excel, you won't even get near to the 4gb of RAM limit.

OP
J

jtcb

There is no point upgrading the m4/4gb to the i5/4gb for those programs. You'll barely notice the difference.

The only i5 worth getting is the 8gb/256, mostly because of the ram. This will help if you do a lot of multitasking. But it's also a £300 jump, so it's only worth it if you really *have* to multitask, and can't close programs you're not using. (Or if you use more intensive programs, like huge photoshop files or videos, but it doesn't sound like you do that).

I have the m3, and it runs photoshop nicely, and word processing programs won't even tax it. In fact, unless you end up with 10+ browser tabs open while using word and excel, you won't even get near to the 4gb of RAM limit.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I might be able to get away with the m3 and save some money.

I have the habit of opening a lot of tabs in Chrome for website that I frequently visit for immediate access. I know I can and have them bookmarked. I currently have 43 tabs open in Chrome on my desktop PC. If I continue the habit when I use SP4, is it worth it or necessary then to get the 8GB option or 4GB still be fine?

leeshor

Just having Chrome installed, not being used, consumes RAM. I think if you are keeping an over the top number of tabs open you may want to opt for more memory.

nirurin

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I might be able to get away with the m3 and save some money.

I have the habit of opening a lot of tabs in Chrome for website that I frequently visit for immediate access. I know I can and have them bookmarked. I currently have 43 tabs open in Chrome on my desktop PC. If I continue the habit when I use SP4, is it worth it or necessary then to get the 8GB option or 4GB still be fine?

Well depends... Is keeping 43 tabs open, instead of learning to be a little more organised and closing/saving web pages, worth more to you than £300? Which is half the price of buying a second SP4 M3.

I suspect not.

On my desktop I have about 30 tabs open at the moment. But that's because it's the desktop, so I can. On my surface, I tend to only have 2 or 3 open at a time at most.

macster

If you have 8GB of ram you can always not use it.

If you don't have 8GB of ram you can never use it.

Things happen, life changes, but your Surface's configuration will stay the same.

Also, IMHO more memory does make a difference as in things tend to run more efficiently.
ref: Surface 2 8GB/256
Surface 2 2 GB/64
Surface 3 4GB/128
Surface 3 Pro 8GB /256

I would op for more memory as cheap insurance if nothing else.

M~

nirurin

If you have 8GB of ram you can always not use it.

If you don't have 8GB of ram you can never use it.

Things happen, life changes, but your Surface's configuration will stay the same.

Also, IMHO more memory does make a difference as in things tend to run more efficiently.
ref: Surface 2 8GB/256
Surface 2 2 GB/64
Surface 3 4GB/128
Surface 3 Pro 8GB /256

I would op for more memory as cheap insurance if nothing else.

M~

Thing is, the upgrade is £300. Thats almost half the price of an m3. In a year's time, you could sell the m3 and take the £300 you saved, and buy a Surface Pro 5.

As far as insurance goes, it's a really expensive option lol.

Only buy it if you're going to use 5gb or more of RAM on a regular basis.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I currently have the m3 but am doing a lot of stress tests on my "usual routine tasks" to see how often I get near/over the 4gb limit. If it turns out I do, then I'll return it and exchange for the i5/8gb.

Just doesn't sound like you would ever need it. However, if you have a lot of money to burn, then get the 8gb model.

OP
J

jtcb

After reading all these comments, I still have not decided. One thing for sure is that I won't be upgrading. This SP4 will be my first and probably last tablet/laptop.

Actually I was planning to buy the Sony Xperia Z4 tablet at ~$800 CAD until someone tells me about the SP line of product. It is more powerful for a couple hundreds more.

macster

1. For sure if you don't buy it, at some point you will need it.
  2. For sure if you do buy it, you probably will never need it.
  3. What to do?:(
:D

M~