What's new

Decided to Join

MD Miller

I bought my Surface Pro 3 a month ago. I first bought a Galaxy Tab 3 (the big screen one) because I couldn't justify the cost of the SP3 in my head (at the time). After spending a couple of days with the Samsung I wasn't satisfied so I returned it and took the plunge. I'm very happy with the decision except for one nagging issue. Why was it so easy to connect my business email (MICROSOFT Exchange Active Sync) to my iPad Air (since given to my wife), the returned Galaxy Tab, and my Galaxy S5 phone, but so far it's been impossible to connect the SP3? It's CRAZY. I had our company IT guy try to set it up and even HE failed. I did a Bing search on the issue and that's how I found this Forum. Good to be part of it.

daniielrp

I bought my Surface Pro 3 a month ago. I first bought a Galaxy Tab 3 (the big screen one) because I couldn't justify the cost of the SP3 in my head (at the time). After spending a couple of days with the Samsung I wasn't satisfied so I returned it and took the plunge. I'm very happy with the decision except for one nagging issue. Why was it so easy to connect my business email (MICROSOFT Exchange Active Sync) to my iPad Air (since given to my wife), the returned Galaxy Tab, and my Galaxy S5 phone, but so far it's been impossible to connect the SP3? It's CRAZY. I had our company IT guy try to set it up and even HE failed. I did a Bing search on the issue and that's how I found this Forum. Good to be part of it.

What issue are you having? I've set up exchange accounts on my old surafces and current SP3 just fine.

Is there an error code? Message etc?

Oh, and welcome aboard :D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely you need to the Certificate from your IT department installed on the local machine, this can be caused by legacy settings in Exchange that sees the connection string coming from a Windows Machine vs. a mobile device....

Ask your IT guy about installing the Root Certificate on your SP3.

Tosko

Most likely you need to the Certificate from your IT department installed on the local machine, this can be caused by legacy settings in Exchange that sees the connection string coming from a Windows Machine vs. a mobile device....

Ask your IT guy about installing the Root Certificate on your SP3.

It depends, if the company has an OWA you should not need a Root Certificate. And what client are you using to make a connection with your exchange account?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It depends, if the company has an OWA you should not need a Root Certificate. And what client are you using to make a connection with your exchange account?
While I agree with sentiment, but unfortunately many IT Shops deployed using Self-signed Certificates (especially under Exchange 2007 and earlier) and I have had to troubleshoot this previously and the fix was the installing the Root into the Trusted Enterprise Root Store...

Tosko

While I agree with sentiment, but unfortunately many IT Shops deployed using Self-signed Certificates (especially under Exchange 2007 and earlier) and I have had to troubleshoot this previously and the fix was the installing the Root into the Trusted Enterprise Root Store...
That is also required to make other apps such as Lync work.
You can also choose to join the surface into the domain, should also solve the issue.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is also required to make other apps such as Lync work.
You can also choose to join the surface into the domain, should also solve the issue.
Workplace Join or Domain Join depending on BYOD Policies that are enforced...

OP
M

MD Miller

Wow, thanks for the welcome and replies. We're using Exchange Active Sync 2007 and a very old version of Citrix to connect remotely. Citrix Receiver does not work with our servers, I assume because they're too old. I was successful connecting the SP3 to our domain as long as I was physically connected to it's network via Cat5. When I tried connecting on my home WiFi network, no joy.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, thanks for the welcome and replies. We're using Exchange Active Sync 2007 and a very old version of Citrix to connect remotely. Citrix Receiver does not work with our servers, I assume because they're too old. I was successful connecting the SP3 to our domain as long as I was physically connected to it's network via Cat5. When I tried connecting on my home WiFi network, no joy.
Try to get that certificate and verify that they have Exchange Active Sync Policies for all devices not just mobile...