What's new

Decided to wait for the Surface Pro 2

rambler358

I've decided to hold off on getting the Surface Pro this Feb. Rumors are Microsoft is already in development with the Surface Pro 2 and the upcoming Haswell chipset. I'd prefer not to wait 6 months for the update, but I really don't want to go through the hassle of selling at that time either. My current iPad 3 should hold me over until then, and I have Win 8 on my desktop to get me familiar with the new OS.

I'm really looking forward to increased battery life and gaming/graphics horsepower that Haswell will bring. I just know if I got the Surface now, I'd just end up selling it shortly down the road. If I had unlimited funds I would just get it now, but unfortunately that's not the case. Yes, there's always going to be something new around the corner, but my gut tells me that Haswell is worth waiting for.

machistmo

I have read similar things but givens Intel's track record with chip release dates, I would expect to see a Surface Pro sometime around Feb 2014. Seriously. Look at all the delays will the Surface Pro's from the OEM's. Intel has no credibility at this point.

OP
R

rambler358

I don't believe the delays with the Surface Pro are because of Intel. Other manufacturers with competing tablets/convertables with the same or better specs, have had their devices out since late last year. Microsoft's delay is likely from the suppliers they used, and remember that they're just really getting into the PC hardware biz.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I actually haven't heard about any Surface Pro delays at all. Microsoft said that the Surface Pro would be available about 3 months after the RT and that is exactly what they are offering as the available date.

If there does end up being any delay in shipments or slow down in availability I would also suspect it would be from any other number of sources (body, screen, memory, assembly, etc.) rather than Intel. Intel has tremendous chip manufacturing capacity and PC sales are in decline so they should have no problem cranking out product.

bosamar

I can't imagine Microsoft would release Pro v1 in February then turn around and release v2 six months later. I do imagine however that RT v2 will be available next Christmas.

flight

I can't imagine Microsoft would release Pro v1 in February then turn around and release v2 six months later. I do imagine however that RT v2 will be available next Christmas.

I don't think so either. My guess is that, unlike the staggered release of the original RT and Pro, next generation will be released together; around a year after the original RT was released. I can also see Microsoft updating the Surface RT in the summer, but I don't think they will wait untill February 2014 to release the Haswell Surface.

Towering Shadow

"I'd prefer not to wait 6 months for the update"
Well, I wouldn't hold your breath. If you think Microsoft is going to be putting out updates every 3 to 6 months like Apple, I doubt it. My guess is, it's going to be about a year before they update anything. I hope I'm wrong but with that being a possibility, I don't think I can wait that long.

Russ

Yeah, but Surface Pro 3 will be even better. Maybe you should wait for it.

Regards,
Russ

SopranoSV

"I'd prefer not to wait 6 months for the update"
Well, I wouldn't hold your breath. If you think Microsoft is going to be putting out updates every 3 to 6 months like Apple, I doubt it. My guess is, it's going to be about a year before they update anything. I hope I'm wrong but with that being a possibility, I don't think I can wait that long.

And keep in mind that Apple's new iPads every-3-months-releases comes from the need to keep up with the competition such as Samsung, Surface, etc...