What's new

Decided to wait for the Surface Pro 2

Codevine

Ya, I'll buy it as soon as it's available, too. Wouldn't call it "taking the risk" though, because the SP fits all my needs and I'd be extremly satisfied with it. :)

machistmo

I love my SP. It is a TOOL not a toy. I had an iPad3 and I gave it away in disgust. Whenever I wanted to use the iPad as a tool, I had to get out the bailing wire and the pliers to make it do anything close to being productive. They are great for your kitchen counter and watching movies, they are excellent as consumption devices, they just aren't a Laptop replacement and will not be anytime soon. The Surface lets me roam and bring the power of a fully functional enterprise device with me. The Type-Cover seals the deal. I HIGHLY recommend you spend the extra cash for the TYPE keyboard.

Part of our tablet pilot includes iPad 4's and when my boss offered me one so that I could support them in the field, I refused. I just have no use for that device in the workplace.

ArnoldC

Google BlueStacks. It allows you to run Android apps in Windows. It can be laggy/wonky at times but I would think it would be ok for the Synology apps. Why not just use the web interface?

I am aware of Bluestacks and I will never use it. I have a $60 Android that currently serve the purpose. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

mitchellvii

I love my SP. It is a TOOL not a toy. I had an iPad3 and I gave it away in disgust. Whenever I wanted to use the iPad as a tool, I had to get out the bailing wire and the pliers to make it do anything close to being productive. They are great for your kitchen counter and watching movies, they are excellent as consumption devices, they just aren't a Laptop replacement and will not be anytime soon. The Surface lets me roam and bring the power of a fully functional enterprise device with me. The Type-Cover seals the deal. I HIGHLY recommend you spend the extra cash for the TYPE keyboard.

Part of our tablet pilot includes iPad 4's and when my boss offered me one so that I could support them in the field, I refused. I just have no use for that device in the workplace.

Word of caution on the type vs the touch cover. The type cover is very NOISY. If you are in quiet environments where the constant drone of "clickety-clack" might annoy others (restaurants, meetings, lectures, trains, libraries) get the touch cover. If your turn off the keyboard sounds, the touch cover is as close to silent to use as you will find.

apoc_reg

The surface pro is awesome, so glad I bit the bullet and imported from America. The haters are just expecting the wrong things from it. As a versatile, small, light weight, holiday game pc, study aid, annotator and ultra book alternative its a brilliant device.

apoc_reg

Touch is the way forwards, works far better as a cover and a pad to lay the device on to protect it. If you want to type fully usb is there for you.

mitchellvii

No one "hates" the Surface Pro here. Some of us are simply frustrated that some tone-deaf design choices by MS prevent what is an 8.5 from being a 10. It's one thing to just suck, but quite another to be so close to greatness then blow it with by getting too clever by half. Perfect example - their chief reason for designing the kickstand with a single angle was to preserve the "thunk" it made when closing because it sounded like closing the door of a Mercedes. True story, that was actually their reason. That's called style over function - typically a bad idea when it comes to workhorse electronics.

Hence pretty much 99% of the reviews out there gave it the "so close but no cigar" mantle. It isn't just me. This is the consensus thinking by the tech community.

Based upon the mea culpas I am hearing with regards to Windows Blue it sounds like MS may be getting it and future products will avoid the pitfalls of this one. We'll see. They better. The competition will be tougher than ever next time around as everyone else will also be onto their second generation devices.

tonyz3

Perfect example - their chief reason for designing the kickstand with a single angle was to preserve the "thunk" it made when closing because it sounded like closing the door of a Mercedes. True story, that was actually their reason. That's called style over function - typically a bad idea when it comes to workhorse electronics.
I am curious were you breast fed when you were a baby. :sorry: You seem to be so fixated on the kickstand- is the kickstand fixation your fixation for lack of booby milk now.:wink: I am sure there were more reasons they decided on the current kickstand design. I would think the biggest was they really wanted to make you nuts.

mitchellvii

I am curious were you breast fed when you were a baby. :sorry: You seem to be so fixated on the kickstand- is the kickstand fixation your fixation for lack of booby milk now.:wink: I am sure there were more reasons they decided on the current kickstand design. I would think the biggest was they really wanted to make you nuts.

Simple. It is a major feature of the device implemented poorly as a result of bad thinking. Anytime I am forced to seek an aftermarket solution to make a product work as it should have from the box to me that is design fail. Considering you are the first one to mention breast-feeding in any way in this thread I have to wonder who exactly has breast feeding issues? Think about it. Without help from anyone else, your mind made a connection between breast feeding and Surface Pro kickstands. You have to admit that is kind of weird.