What's new

Defect on my new SP3

Franseg

I found this defect on my brand new sp3 (bought today). It's minimal, but it's present, and I'm worried it can worsen.
Do you think I should ask for a replacement unit?

Thanks

Attachments

• Foto 11-01-15 02 47 26.jpg
    Foto 11-01-15 02 47 26.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 664
  • Foto 11-01-15 02 47 57.jpg
    Foto 11-01-15 02 47 57.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 705

ptrkhh

Mine does that too, and I think a lot of SP3s have that issue as well. If youre bothered with that, you can always ask for a replacement.

But if I were you, I would just pretend it didn't exist

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
See how it goes, if there are no other problems Id knock wood and see if a dab of glue would resolve the slight separation of the antenna compartment cover.

r0b123

That little separation could get worse depending on how your handling it in the long run. Do you plan on using a case/cover? If you're using it bare/naked, I would consider returning it. Otherwise it won't functionality but its your call and if you're nearby a store where your purchased it. There are many posts including the accessories section regarding cases/covers which would help so that little defect is not noticeable and doesn't gets worse.

kevinlevrone

What is the defect, exactly ? I don't see any defect. You mean the slightly misaligned joined areas ? That's perfectly normal.

What is the defect, exactly ? I don't see any defect. You mean the slightly misaligned joined areas ? That's perfectly normal.

It's normal... but it shouldn't be on a $1000+ machine. That should be lined up perfectly - you can already see in OP's pics how there's a slight chip in the plastic which wouldn't have occurred if it was flush. If you have a MS store near you OP, return it - you'll get a new SP3 on site - I returned one for similar reasons (the casing/glass was uneven all the way around the Surface, recessed at some points, glass overlapping at others). Process takes a couple minutes and you're out the door with a new SP3 - best to check the new one in store though and make sure it's free of issues.

If you can't get to a MS store though, not sure it's worth the hassle of an exchange...

Kif

My is like that and it hasn't been an issue. I don't travel with it much so I'm not sure if wear and tear would make a difference. It's also a tough call if you want to start playing the exchange game. Despite what people say $1000 devices are not all identical and some defects are worst than others. I would be embrassed to tell you the number of iPads I've been through in my life.