What's new

Deformed SP3? Anyone notice that their SP3 is curved outwards in the middle?

killervette666

So, this is really weird. I've had both the SP1 and SP2 and am quite familiar with the typical quality control issues. My SP2 had the "clicking" bezel problem and my SP3 has some slight separation at the top where the plastic bezel meets the screen. But today I noticed something really weird, the whole SP3 is curved outwards. Holding it in landscape, the center is curved outwards from the two tips like a concave mirror. I've never sat on it, dropped it, etc.... I'll try to take some pictures but basically holding it up and looking along the top edge I see how the whole thing has a gentle curve to it. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything like this.

ctitanic

I would like to see the pictures! Obviously it's a manufacturing defect and Microsoft should exchange it for a new one.

Arizona Willie

I am glad I got the Original Surface Pro.

It's been less than 18 months since Microsoft introduced their first Surface and they have come out with 2 more models since then.

They had plenty of time for quality builds on the first version, but the 2nd and 3rd appear to have been rushed through as fast as possible and I see many complaints about quality.

My Original Surface Pro seems to have ZERO quality problems. It just works.
No light bleed, no creaking screens ... nada.

The new versions may be slightly faster and the battery last slightly longer --- when they work --- but the Original does all I needed it for then and now.

So, this is really weird. I've had both the SP1 and SP2 and am quite familiar with the typical quality control issues. My SP2 had the "clicking" bezel problem and my SP3 has some slight separation at the top where the plastic bezel meets the screen. But today I noticed something really weird, the whole SP3 is curved outwards. Holding it in landscape, the center is curved outwards from the two tips like a concave mirror. I've never sat on it, dropped it, etc.... I'll try to take some pictures but basically holding it up and looking along the top edge I see how the whole thing has a gentle curve to it. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything like this.

OP
K

killervette666

Willie: I don't know if I entirely agree with that. My SP1 had a bezel separation issue as well, and definitely had backlight bleeding. My SP2 had the "clicking" bezel. I think Microsoft has struggled with quality control across the entire SP range. Just by judging the number of people that say theirs is "perfect" vs those reporting defects, I think Microsoft has about a 60-70% "perfect rate." Not great considering how expensive these devices are, but I see it as "cost of doing business" in that we're getting cutting edge devices that are super thin and powerful and no one else has really managed to catch up with yet.

Finally got a chance to upload a picture, let me know if you can't see it. As you can see the top edge, closer to the monitor, is curved to the left (i popped up spybot to get my autofocus to trigger). I was going to ignore the bezel separation, but this curving thing is a little much.

Attachments

• DSC_01201.jpg
    DSC_01201.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,004

EMINENT

That would be unacceptable to me. MS needs to know about these quality issues so we don't have to deal with them in the future. This should have never left the door at the factory.

I have an issue with the screen at the center of the length of the tablet on the bottom. It's barely noticeable, but I can tell it's not exactly flush as the other side edges. Another thing they should check for before the they leave the building.

adrians

Finally got a chance to upload a picture, let me know if you can't see it. As you can see the top edge, closer to the monitor, is curved to the left (i popped up spybot to get my autofocus to trigger). I was going to ignore the bezel separation, but this curving thing is a little much.

Mine seems to have a similar (slight) amount of curvature along the length. Never noticed it until now. I wonder if this is pretty common and most people just don't notice it because you have to look along the length to really see it.

Feoen

Yikes, mine is curved too! I NEVER would have noticed it if not for this topic.

It's really only noticeable from the side profile, and only if you are really looking... It doesn't bother me in the slightest, and actually I wouldn't be surprised if it was by design.

I do have a very slight separation of the glass from the bezel at the upper right, but it's not enough to make me exchange an otherwise perfect unit.

bkydcmpr

maybe i'll stop by a microsoft store to check out the demo units. maybe related to heat? metal and plastic have different expansion rate.

kobusaf

I've got the curve too. Also, I hear a clicking noise from the upper right side from time to time when the fan kicks in. It's like the fan is contacting the inside of the case when it rotates. I've been wondering if the two issues aren't related.

malberttoo

Willie: I don't know if I entirely agree with that. My SP1 had a bezel separation issue as well, and definitely had backlight bleeding. My SP2 had the "clicking" bezel. I think Microsoft has struggled with quality control across the entire SP range. Just by judging the number of people that say theirs is "perfect" vs those reporting defects, I think Microsoft has about a 60-70% "perfect rate." Not great considering how expensive these devices are, but I see it as "cost of doing business" in that we're getting cutting edge devices that are super thin and powerful and no one else has really managed to catch up with yet.

How pronounced is it when laid flat on a surface?

raqball

Mine has a slight curve as well. I wonder if it's by design since many others have the same.