What's new

Deformed SP3? Anyone notice that their SP3 is curved outwards in the middle?

wynand32

I don't see it :(

I expanded the pic but still don't see what you are referring to.

Guess I just don't understand because other people say they see it.

If you really want to see it, look at it from the top down with the screen facing away from you. You'll notice that the top edge is a different color from the rest of the magnesium case, because it's actually made of plastic. This plastic portion has a slight curve to it toward the center; you'll see the screen protruding a tiny bit as the curve becomes more pronounced. If you run your finger along the edge of the screen at the top, it'll become just the tiniest bit rough as you move to the center, and smooth along the edge (where it's flush with the magnesium portion of the case).

I'm only going into this to describe how it's designed and built, not because it's a problem.

Arizona Willie

Is this for the Surface Pro 1?

I just set mine up on my workbench and put my lighted magnifier to work and I don't see this. The middle section ( which is the largest section of the top ) has the Start button and microphone and it < is > a different color but I see no bend / curve at all in mine. I run my finger along the front edge, the top of the screen, and it feels the same all the way across.

I ordered mine the next day after they came on sale so it was one of the earliest.
I suspect production got pushed later on in order to get 'em out the door and that is the reason some folks have problems.

But, I set mine up on the table with the keyboard attached and using the kick stand and using the magnifier I could see nothing wrong with the top of the unit. Is this curvature in the neighborhood of the microphone or the camera(s)? As I understand it you are saying your screen curves slightly out of the body of the surface so there is an area where the top of the screen is not flush with the body. Is that correct?

ee

If you really want to see it, look at it from the top down with the screen facing away from you. You'll notice that the top edge is a different color from the rest of the magnesium case, because it's actually made of plastic. This plastic portion has a slight curve to it toward the center; you'll see the screen protruding a tiny bit as the curve becomes more pronounced. If you run your finger along the edge of the screen at the top, it'll become just the tiniest bit rough as you move to the center, and smooth along the edge (where it's flush with the magnesium portion of the case).

I'm only going into this to describe how it's designed and built, not because it's a problem.

malberttoo

I have to say, like @Arizona Willie, mine is perfectly straight. Not a bend in sight.

Besides, I thought those new curved-display flat screen TV's are all the rage now? So I would think you should be so happy that your SP3 has this unanticipated feature! :cool:

raqball

Unless they've changed the specs or the manufacturer I'd assume that every SP3 has the curve and that some just are not noticing it.

It's subtle and is not really very noticeable at all..

wynand32

Unless they've changed the specs or the manufacturer I'd assume that every SP3 has the curve and that some just are not noticing it.

It's subtle and is not really very noticeable at all..

Yes, and please everyone note: it's NOT the screen that's curved, it's the plastic portion that makes up the top edge. It's obviously by design, and definitely not a problem of any sort.

wynand32

That can't be because some of them said that they noticed right out of the box.

Absolutely, and this one has taken on a life of its own. I hope it's established that the curve is obviously by design, every SP3 has it whether a given user notices it or not, and it can safely be written off as a non-issue.

double07

I just did a flatness test on mine and it seems to be pretty flat. you can find a surface that you think it is as flat as possible. Put your SF3 face down. Use a piece of paper, printer paper. Use the corner of paper and slide under the faced down SF3. it should at least give you some idea if it is flat or not?

wynand32

I just did a flatness test on mine and it seems to be pretty flat. you can find a surface that you think it is as flat as possible. Put your SF3 face down. Use a piece of paper, printer paper. Use the corner of paper and slide under the faced down SF3. it should at least give you some idea if it is flat or not?

Argh... :)

Once again, it's not the screen that's curved. The screen is completely flat, as it should be--so, this test won't show anything.

It's the PLASTIC SECTION AT THE TOP OF THE CASE that's curved. And that's all I have to say about that (to channel Forrest Gump)...

raqball

Unfortunately, this is going to go on and on.. Maybe some lowly tech blogger will write about it next and we can have a internet blowup about another non issue.. LOL.

I get what you are saying and I agree.

wynand32

Unfortunately, this is going to go on and on.. Maybe some lowly tech blogger will wrote about it next.. LOL.

I can read the headline now: "Surface Pro 3 Suffering From Warped Screens". No investigation, of course, just something random to catch a few extra clicks.

Grrr...