What's new

deleted stuff coming back and sp2 working overtime while idle

Nackers

Hi all, My sp2 has been (twice in the last week) working overtime to the point were the fan kicks in while idle,, and there's been a couple thing (avi's, mp4's) re-appearing back in the recycle bin after the bin has been emptied.. And my sp2 has been getting very slow at times,, I've done a full restore, firmware and windows update with no luck.. Any ideas ?.. Thanks Heaps for any help

OP
N

Nackers

Thanks for your replies, No home groups, networks, vpn, remote Desktop or sharing going on. I did set up a home group couple weeks ago just for fun but found it was a waste of time for me needs, so I canceled and removed all info on both pc's. I did a full restore/recovery since than as advised by MS help line. Is there anything else I can look at ?.. Thanks heaps again for your time and help

Dayton

If it happens again, disable networking. That should provide some clues. If you are sure someone wasn't attached or that your SP2 wasn't acting as a multimedia server, did you install any CODEC's?

OP
N

Nackers

Do have VLC media player installed but no codec like cccp, bittorrent etc.. I'm sure no one has attached to me. No one with in 100 meters of me with the know how.. I haven't had any trouble for a couple days, so hopefully I've got it sorted. We'll see how it goes with today's firmware update. Thanks heaps all for your help.

beq

FYI on my own SP2 over the months, I've also noticed different processes consuming CPU utilization when idle (causing the unit to heat up and run the fans), which included:

- Microsoft Windows Search Indexer -- happens periodically, which is normal I suppose, but it seems to always struggle near the end (ie. it would take a long while and spike up the CPU to finish the last few hundred items to be indexed); I'd tried to rebuild the index but the same behavior continues

- Antimalware Service Executable -- also normal I guess, although I've seen it spike CPU even outside scheduled scans (must've been scanning complex items in real-time?)

- Communications Service -- I guess it's related to the Win 8.1 Mail app, which also seemed to struggle a lot, getting stuck updating mailboxes and spiking CPU in the process? Note I was testing with Exchange Online, Outlook.com/Windows Live Domains, and Google Apps for Business accounts all using the same email address on my domain, which I guess can get confusing. Also tested old-school IMAP server accounts with 100+ folders...

- Apple IE DAV -- it's the iCloud bookmark sync to IE, which has had a lot of problems with the Win8.1 IE11 on the SP2 (a known problem?). It often got stuck and spiked CPU a lot but actually failed to sync with IE, whereas the iCloud bookmark sync to Firefox and Chrome (which use browser extensions) are more reliable. I finally got it SEMI-WORKING after deleting all browsers' bookmarks and starting from scratch, and not adding any bookmarks with a long title or weird characters. Except, while IE will now see bookmarks added via Firefox or Chrome, adding bookmarks via IE itself won't be seen by the iCloud sync and thus wouldn't get added to Firefox/Chrome.

- photoshop gpu sniffer (I forget exact name) - always hung and spiked CPU after opening Photoshop CC (though I think Adobe's latest update has fixed the problem?)