What's new

Dell 34" curved monitor

Good morning.

Have been using two Dell 2414 monitors with my docked SP3 i5 256. Have the usual issues with the two monitor extended desktop setup. So, I was thinking about selling both monitors and replacing them with one Dell 34" curved monitor. I may lose a little real estate but if the graphics card is compatible, I'm confident I will gain resolution.

Will my SP3 i5 256 machine be able to drive such a monitor while docked via Mini DisplayPort?

Any advice for or against?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Telstar1948

It should drive it just fine. I was using two 24" monitors off my SP3, and now I'm running one 32" Samsung 2560 x 1440 with no issues. I use a MS Dock also, but it will run the monitor directly from the SP3 or through the Dock.

OP
D

doublestack1

It should drive it just fine. I was using two 24" monitors off my SP3, and now I'm running one 32" Samsung 2560 x 1440 with no issues. I use a MS Dock also, but it will run the monitor directly from the SP3 or through the Dock.

Do you miss the extra width of the two 24" screens?

Telstar1948

Not greatly. The 32" is quite a bit taller so that's a gain there. It's not a 16:9. It's working out very well considering not having to have double everything to run the two 24" screens.

smar

Good morning.

Have been using two Dell 2414 monitors with my docked SP3 i5 256. Have the usual issues with the two monitor extended desktop setup. So, I was thinking about selling both monitors and replacing them with one Dell 34" curved monitor. I may lose a little real estate but if the graphics card is compatible, I'm confident I will gain resolution.

Will my SP3 i5 256 machine be able to drive such a monitor while docked via Mini DisplayPort?

Any advice for or against?

Thank you.

I have used my i5/256 Gb on that monitor for a while via the mini display port but without the dock - works fine.