What's new

Dell P2715Q on my SP2

GoodBytes

Ok very good.
I checked the monitor manual, and I really don't see what else to do. At work I have a 4K monitor, I'll see with my Surface Pro 2, but you have to wait until Monday.

OP
A

Aaron Pepelis

jut in case, I ordered a mDP to mDP cable. Let's see if that does it. At some point, I'm going to get a SP3 (or SP4), but I'm not swimming in cash so I figure wait.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This DP spec is FUBAR if we're down to fiddling with cables like it was 1977.
Like the insides of a tomato, it's not done, put it back. :eek:

zhenya

Sorry, Intel integrated graphics in the Surface Pro 2 and Pro 3 can only do 4K at 30Hz, including the Core i7 model of the SP3.
Yes, it sucks. Welcome to the world of Intel integrated graphics: don't believe ANYTHING that comes out of their mouth.
We are in 2015, and Intel "full" DirectX and OpenGL support, is still not there as promised... the same promise said ages ago, with previous generation hardware.

I wish more people pushed manufacture to put an Nvidia or AMD chip, so that we can get proper full 4K 60Hz support, proper and full OpenGL, DirectX, and let's not mention: OpenCL, DirectCompute and CUDA (in the case of Nvidia as it is exclusive to them) support. Not to mention, drivers that aren't filled with bugs affecting the experience of the device. Anyway, hopefully the Surface Pro 4, but that is wishful thinking.

This is not true. The SP2 shares the same i5 4300u with 4400 graphics as available in the SP3. With this setup you can run a 4k monitor at 50hz, even two of them if you have the dock.

What you need to do is install the Intel driver, which I believe you've already done, but if not http://lifeisabug.com/installing-latest-intel-hd-graphics-driver-microsoft-surface-pro-pro-2-pro-3/

Then follow the instructions under the 'recommended answer' at this link http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19610725

That will give you what you need. This screen clip is what I'm currently running on my i5 SP3.

GkmNRdO.png

zhenya

Weird, it worked for me when I made the post. I think that server goes down from time to time though. I would bet it will come back online again later. The link is correct.

OP
A

Aaron Pepelis

now, I was about to create a profile for 50hz. once I rebooted, I was able to connect. This rules. Funny, it's over the max resolution for remote desktops to my work computer, but I'm loving this. thank you so much