What's new

Dell Venue Pro 11 serious competitor of Surface Pro 2, what do you think?

shazada

I've as most of you put up a Pre-Order for the MS Surface Pro 2 and now since a few days Dell comes in to the competition.

Some articles like: Dell Venue 11 Pro Hands-on: Who Needs a Surface 2? And Dell Venue 11 Pro hands-on review: A Surface Pro 2 rival - PC Advisor
sees the Dell Venue 11 as a serious rival/competitor of the new Surface Pro 2.

What do you guys think?

My initial thought is for the Dell:
+ thinner
+ lighter
+ cheaper (also cheaper accessories especially the dock for just $100 instead of $199 with 2 monitor outputs :O)
- looks cheaper
- Less Performance probably (according to the processor they use)
- The active digitizer pen doesn't work on the Dell, so probably less pen input (see this blog for some cool pen input/drawings Penny Arcade - The MS Surface Pro)

hypokondriak

I've as most of you put up a Pre-Order for the MS Surface Pro 2 and now since a few days Dell comes in to the competition.

Some articles like: Dell Venue 11 Pro Hands-on: Who Needs a Surface 2? And Dell Venue 11 Pro hands-on review: A Surface Pro 2 rival - PC Advisor
sees the Dell Venue 11 as a serious rival/competitor of the new Surface Pro 2.

What do you guys think?

My initial thought is for the Dell:
+ thinner
+ lighter
+ cheaper (also cheaper accessories especially the dock for just $100 instead of $199 with 2 monitor outputs :O)
- looks cheaper
- Less Performance probably (according to the processor they use)
- The active digitizer pen doesn't work on the Dell, so probably less pen input (see this blog for some cool pen input/drawings Penny Arcade - The MS Surface Pro)

I think the Venue 8 Pro is outstanding. I will be replacing the iPad Mini with this immediately. The only downside of the Venue 8 is no HDMI out, but other than that this device is awesome. It will outperform and iPad mini and offer more flexibility.

The Venue 11 Pro is interesting too purely on price point. I don't think the keyboard / folidng type thing is something I'd buy - it looks sloppy with flaps all over the place when traveling. The keyboard with built-in battery is cool because you're looking at a device thinner than SP2+Power Cover with the Dell having 16 hours of battery.

How it looks is of little consequence to me personally. How it works and enriches my life is where I'm interested.

Overall I'm glad to see tablets coming out. I think once more people get their hands on 8.1 with a touch capable device their opinions will begin to turn. You can already see that happening in reviews. Just needed someone to make something cheap enough to tempt the masses.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

deldalton

Unfortunately, I don't think the "reviews" I've seen so far have been clear enough on the specification and prices. I've read there are different models. That is, you can upgrade the storage space, RAM, and even the processor. However, none of the articles I've read have stated the price of these upgrades.

So, although this could well be a real competitor, the full details aren't available to us yet.

If after upgrading the processor, the RAM, and storage to similar levels as the SP2 and I only saved £100, I'd still rather buy the SP2. Accessory prices are still to be confirmed too, I think.

Please correct me if I'm wrong at all.

The big advantage I see of the Dell device is the removable battery. That's a big deal.

OP
S

shazada

If after upgrading the processor, the RAM, and storage to similar levels as the SP2 and I only saved £100, I'd still rather buy the SP2. Accessory prices are still to be confirmed too, I think.

Please correct me if I'm wrong at all.

The big advantage I see of the Dell device is the removable battery. That's a big deal.

I'm not sure how big that advantage is... I mean I've had phones with removable batteries and sometimes I'd had a spare battery with me but also lot's of times I forgot it somewhere.
I don't really see how that differs compared to the Power Cover :).

You're right the price isn't 100% confirmed yet, the starting price is but we'll see/hear it in the coming next weeks.

What I also do like about the Power Cover of Dell is that it actually works like an Ultra book or Asus Transformer series where you can angle the screen in almost every position instead of the 2.
The Surface Pro needs an extra length in surface :) to lean/put the kickstand on. Like one needs to be careful to place the Surface pro on the edge of a table.

Procinctu

I am typing this on a Surface RT and have a SP2 256 on pre-order. I am looking at the Venue 8 Pro to swap out for my iPad Mini, but I am sticking with the SP2 for my main tablet due to the 4400 graphics in it vs the max 4200 graphics in the Dell. I also like the clean style stand of the Surface tablets vs the case style of the Dell. I am not a fan of any case on my devices though.

deldalton

I'm not sure how big that advantage is... I mean I've had phones with removable batteries and sometimes I'd had a spare battery with me but also lot's of times I forgot it somewhere.
I don't really see how that differs compared to the Power Cover :).

shazada. I was thinking more along the line of replacement parts, rather than trying to achieve longer running time. That is, if the Dell's battery dies you'd expect a replacement battery would be easier to source, compared to trying to ask MS to fit a new battery in your SP2.

Adding to a point you mentioned earlier about the lack of pen input: One of the things that attracted me to the SP2 was the pen input, palm blocking technology, and the WinTab driver that was released to allow pressure-sensitive input. Does anyone know if the Dell supports these features?

Last edited:

dellaster

I'll give the Dell serious consideration, like the Sony VAIO Tap 11, once some real reviews come out. SP2 doesn't need any, for me, because it's an incremental upgrade of the SP1, which has real reviews such as the one at AnadTech.com.

Twenty-nine days after reveal Sony has yet to put up Tap 11 specs or prices for the US market nor have they gotten any into the hands of reviewers. Almost as if the show display was a "feeler" and if they didn't like the reactions they wouldn't market it here. Vaporware?

At least Dell already has some of the prices out and an initial product spec page on their US website, though only the Bay Trail version of the Pro 11 is listed (2GB RAM/64GB storage). I expect Dell is serious, unlike Sony, and review units will be expedited to competent reviewers as soon as they're available.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Dell Venue will kill Surface 2 and Dell XPS 11 will kill Surface Pro 2. A comparably equipped (and I use comparable in this case loosely since the XPS 11 is superior in every way) XPS 11 will clock in at about $200 less than a Surface Pro 2. Yes the Surface Pro 2 is a fine machine but it is the wrong form factor to win a broad market, just like the Surface Pro was. Hinged ultra thin convertibles with ultra HD screens, real keyboards and more ports is the future of this market.

Surface Pro 2, great product, wrong product.

demandarin

Nah..lol we will see as The Surface is currently still the top Windows tablet. Whether pro or RT. the only dell that even slightly interests me is the 8in. version because of its portability. as far as the 11in. , I don't see it doing better than Surface. MS has the advertising and product placement going in its favor this time around. theres alot more hype surrounding the surface.

let me ask you, what will you do if the surface actually sells very well this time around? I can see you exploding in anger...haha Delta obviously sees Surface2 as the right form factor and specs.

for me, the bay trail line isn't powerful enough. its decent for a student but not for power users or gamers. they don't hold a candle to the pro. but in an 8in. form factor, I think that might be possible. but don't forget the surface mini and other sizes possibly coming out soon. as far as MS rumors go, they have been holding true lately. so we will see what tablet kills who in the end. lol

its always kind of funny seeing posts such as that. but opposing viewpoints are welcomed though as allows people to look at things from another angle and see possible flaws. For me, Pro is perfect form factor and works great for me. No other tablet of this kind has this high quality build type.

actually you want to know what bay trail device will be killer? its definitely not the Dell line. it will be the Asus T-100. for like $349 you get a bay trail tablet that comes with a transformer type keyboard also. also running full blown windows. now that will be almost impossible for anyone to compete with. plus its coming with the full office suite built in. Don't sleep on Asus. Id give Asus more credit than Dell. Dell is on the downhill and their recent announcements are a good start to save them. But Asus has lots of momentum behind them also. now id predict the Asus bay trail or win 8 tablets selling more than Dell. ;P

I wll say the killer feature for the dell line is the user replaceable batteries. now that's something I really like. lets see if that's enough to sell better than surface line.

Last edited:

demandarin

one more thing..lol

we all forgetting one very important detail. if the dell were to sell better, it doesn't really matter in the end. why? because MS wins in the end either way..haha because its more windows enabled devices being sold. must be great to be in Microsoft shoes for the fact that they always winning in the end. smh no wonder they so successful and powerful