What's new

Depth of SD Card slot

jrioux

I don't know about the Mac, but on my SP3 the microSD card just fits in the slot. I use my fingernail to push it in to release it.

I wouldn't worry. If it doesn't fit the full card, an accessory provider will provide a flush version for extra storage

OP
A

albertan_bear

I have SP3, so I know how microSD fits - this is about standard SD and Surface Book.
Flush versions - OK, but, they are usually crappy, slower, smaller capacity and more expensive.

OP
A

albertan_bear

MicroSD cards and flush (cut of) SD are usually smaller and slower + way more expensive. I'm hoping the Microsoft uses standard (aka full depth) SD slot.

OP
A

albertan_bear

Stopped today in MS Calgary Chinook Centre Store - tested with my SD card - pretty disappointed, SD card slot is very shallow only about 2/3 of card fits in (I would say it is shallower than my 15" MacBook Pro Retina). So no full time expansion with SD cards possible.

Otherwise device is great and I'm waiting for delivery on October 26 (or couple days after this date).

lcavada

I was looking forward to a full depth SD card slot. Unfortunately its not. It's about 2/3 SD size.

We can definitely use an adapter for the uSD cards, but this limits the capacity. Only 200GB available now. Whereas full size SD come in much bigger capacities. :-( and are typically cheaper in price

OP
A

albertan_bear

Agree. Problem will be - which adapter. For Macs, there are many of them - I'm using NiftyDrive - they works perfect, but is someone going to make one for MS Surface Book? And when?