What's new

Desktop Windows Resizing

GusRandall

I use my device almost exclusively in landscape mode and don't remove my cover while it's asleep. However, when I wake the machine up, I often find the programs I left open on the desktop to have been resized to be narrower and shifted left like it thinks that it was in portrait mode. This is annoying because I keep 3 applications open pretty much all the time and I set one (Tweetdeck) to take up 20% of the screen and then put the other 2 (Firefox and Onenote) to take up 80%. That way I can monitor my feeds and switch back and forth between notes and surfing very easily. So when everything gets resized, I have to manually resize everything and put each back in place (which is not that easy with a finger). Any ideas?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Manually lock the screen orientation. Charms>Settings>Screen>Icon at the top.

Welcome to the forum :)

OP
G

GusRandall

Any way to keep it from switching when it's asleep but allow it to switch when it's awake and I rotate it? I don't get how it's rotating while asleep and I want to be able to rotate it when it's awake and I actually shift the device (in the evening or weekends, for example).

J515OP

Super Moderator
My guess is that it is certain activities are actually waking it briefly and it picks up the different orientation. You might try hibernate instead of sleep. You can also try maximizing the windows before sleeping and changing the orientation. Then when you are ready to go back to work they may restore to their previous landscape state instead of being adjusted for portrait. You can always lock and unlock orientation as necessary, so lock when you don't want the changes and unlock when you you do.

tonyz3

This program that display link partners with- actual tools-- has a feature where you can set up tiled sections on your window and have the apps auto fill them custom sections. not sure if this will work because it is for multiple monitors but thought I would share. Desktop Divider - Features - Actual Multiple Monitors - Actual Tools I have not tried it yet but was thinking of the trial option. stumbled upon it earlier today.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
This program that display link partners actual tools with has a feature where you can set up tiled sections on your window and have the apps auto fill them custom sections. not sure if this will work because it is for multiple monitors but thought I would share. Desktop Divider - Features - Actual Multiple Monitors - Actual Tools I have not tried it yet but was thinking of the trial option. stumbled option it earlier today.

That is a pretty cool feature :)