What's new

Detach - Kill Processes

Dan Klinger

Hi everyone,

I had a Surface Pro 3 i7 for the last 3 years. It was an ok laptop. Light. Ran hot though. And the battery was - eh. When I upgraded to the Surface Book 2 i7 512 (13.5) just recently? I remember what a really decent powerhouse of a laptop can be.

I am mad impressed by how well it handles what I throw at it.

But on occasion? I like to get back into tablet mode to show folks something.

I find that many of the time? I cant just detach. It is running 3-4 processes that I need to go to through and kill to detach and go into tablet mode.

I am newer to the SB world. Has anyone created a quick kill process app that can kill the ones that will allow the detach to happen quick and effectively?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I had a Surface Pro 3 i7 for the last 3 years. It was an ok laptop. Light. Ran hot though. And the battery was - eh. When I upgraded to the Surface Book 2 i7 512 (13.5) just recently? I remember what a really decent powerhouse of a laptop can be.

I find that many of the time? I cant just detach. It is running 3-4 processes that I need to go to through and kill to detach and go into tablet mode.

I am newer to the SB world. Has anyone created a quick kill process app that can kill the ones that will allow the detach to happen quick and effectively?
Any app that is actively using the dGPU will need to be closed (and if they remain in memory - process killed) as Windows would be unable to unload the NVIDIA Driver to detach and hand-off 3D rendering to the Intel 620 GMA.

ncameron

You can customise which applications utilise the dGPU to reduce/eliminate the need to close them.
Go to Control Panel, NVIDIA Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, Program Settings - and select the programs you do NOT want to use the dGPU and select Integrated Graphics...

Orlbuckeye

Hi everyone,

You can use the Nvidia control panel to set the default GPU to either the integrated or DGPU. You can also set each a default GPU for each application under the Nvidia control Panel. I would Google for more information on using this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One caution on that though - the default is Auto Select and you may lose some of the performance benefit of the NVIDIA GPU by forcing the use of Intel GMA.

You'll need to decide which trade-off is the best for you.

Orlbuckeye

Another consideration is heat. So I think it's best to set integrated as default and set the applications that graphic performance matters to DGPU.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Another consideration is heat. So I think it's best to set integrated as default and set the applications that graphic performance matters to DGPU.
Agreed - but things like Adobe CC will default to the integrated because it doesn't trust hybrid graphics solutions...