What's new

Device not charging

Boxiom

Hi!

So, I had a Surface Pro 2 and it would not charge at all. Even though I had my charger plugged in, the Surface did not recognize it. If I "tilted" the charger a bit and held it at that position, it would charge until I released it back to the correct position. So, I sent it to service and received my replacement device today. It worked for 10 minutes, then it stopped charging. The exact same problem, where it doesn't recognize the charger at all. So I'm wondering if anyone else have had this issue before? It seems to me that the charger itself is not working (I still use my original one), but I don't have any second charger that I can try. I'm just debating with myself whether I should send the Surface and charger in for service again, or just ask for a replacement charger? I'm kinda in a hurry seeing that I need the Surface for school, so I don't want to end up waiting a week for a replacement charger just to find out that the Surface itself is the issue here.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I can also add that I tried using the USB on the Surface charger to charge my cellphone, and that worked. So maybe the connector itself is the issue?

malberttoo

Hi!

So, I had a Surface Pro 2 and it would not charge at all. Even though I had my charger plugged in, the Surface did not recognize it. If I "tilted" the charger a bit and held it at that position, it would charge until I released it back to the correct position. So, I sent it to service and received my replacement device today. It worked for 10 minutes, then it stopped charging. The exact same problem, where it doesn't recognize the charger at all. So I'm wondering if anyone else have had this issue before? It seems to me that the charger itself is not working (I still use my original one), but I don't have any second charger that I can try. I'm just debating with myself whether I should send the Surface and charger in for service again, or just ask for a replacement charger? I'm kinda in a hurry seeing that I need the Surface for school, so I don't want to end up waiting a week for a replacement charger just to find out that the Surface itself is the issue here.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I can also add that I tried using the USB on the Surface charger to charge my cellphone, and that worked. So maybe the connector itself is the issue?

Hi Boxiom, welcome to the forum!

There are only 2 things involved in this- either the charger, or the Surface. The only way to know for sure, is you are somehow going to have to get your hands on a known-good charger and see if the behavior changes. There's simply no other way to know for sure. Or, find someone else with a Surface Pro 1 or 2 and try your changer out on their machine and vice versa.

Only then will you be able to say for sure if it's the charger, or the Surface itself that still needs repair.

OP
B

Boxiom

Thanks for the reply! Seeing that I don't know anyone around here with a Surface, I decided to ask for a new charger. Hopefully that will solve the issue, or I'm going to have to get my second replacement Surface.

By the way, I noticed that two of the pins on my charger are kinda pushed inside of the charger itself. Here's an image:
zeStpUt.jpg

If I remember correctly, all of the pins used to look like the ones in the middle. Could this be the issue?

malberttoo

Thanks for the reply! Seeing that I don't know anyone around here with a Surface, I decided to ask for a new charger. Hopefully that will solve the issue, or I'm going to have to get my second replacement Surface.

By the way, I noticed that two of the pins on my charger are kinda pushed inside of the charger itself. Here's an image:
zeStpUt.jpg

If I remember correctly, all of the pins used to look like the ones in the middle. Could this be the issue?

Good call on getting a new charger on the way.

I've since sold my Surface Pro to fund my new Surface Pro 3, and can't remember what the pins on the charger look like. Hopefully someone else can tell us for sure!

grumpy

zeStpUt.jpg

I would say that is almost definitely the problem. On both of my chargers (SP1 and SP2), the outermost pins actually extend slightly past the flat surface of the connector.