What's new

Device Not Waking

beman39

maybe try looking in the power settings, maybe you have the settings to shut down instead of sleep? so maybe your SP2 is shutting down and you have to turn it back on?

Ruffles

Under the properties for your Marvell network adapter in the device manager, do you have the option to allow the computer to turn off this device to save power unchecked? When I unchecked it on my SP1, I had the same issue. Checking it fixed my problem.

jokemaster13

I think there is a issue with the Surface Pro 2 and Windows 8.1. I'm now on my second Surface Pro 2 and I looked and somebody else Surface Pro 2, they randomly reset and report a unexpected failure. (look in your event viewer, Windows log, System, filter on critical errors.)

Look at the following links:
Surface Pro 2 crashes when waking from sleep - Microsoft Community
And there are also some post about that on this forum.

If people can report here that they have the same issue maybe Microsoft finally can answer some question. Tomorrow I'm going to call Microsoft and if they don't have answers then my Surface Pro 2 is going back to Microsoft.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sher the Love

Unfortunately, the I am starting to have the same problem on the new device. Everything seems to be fine at first, and then it starts to get progressively worse. I completely restored again, installed nothing, and the issue persists. As much as I don't want to go back to my 500T, I don't have much of a choice. I need something dependable for traveling this weekend and for school.

The odds of me getting multiple SP2s with various issues seems near impossible, but I guess I'm on a streak of bad luck. I've never had this many issues buying any type of product in my entire life. I'm glad many of you aren't having any issues, but it's just not working out for me. I'm completely returning it to Best Buy later and will wait for something else to come out. Thanks again for the help.

oion

Unfortunately, the I am starting to have the same problem on the new device. Everything seems to be fine at first, and then it starts to get progressively worse. I completely restored again, installed nothing, and the issue persists. As much as I don't want to go back to my 500T, I don't have much of a choice. I need something dependable for traveling this weekend and for school.

The odds of me getting multiple SP2s with various issues seems near impossible, but I guess I'm on a streak of bad luck. I've never had this many issues buying any type of product in my entire life. I'm glad many of you aren't having any issues, but it's just not working out for me. I'm completely returning it to Best Buy later and will wait for something else to come out. Thanks again for the help.

I'm impressed you stuck it out after the third switch, frankly. (I would've given up by then, anyway.) Hopefully MS will get the firmware fix out to people ASAP as it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, but that doesn't help your situation. :( Good luck with another product.

wesker317

So, now I'm on my second SP2 and after about a week, the Sleep Of Death is back... What's the trick to hard-booting the Surface again? VolumeUp+Power or VolumeDown+Power?

oion

So, now I'm on my second SP2 and after about a week, the Sleep Of Death is back... What's the trick to hard-booting the Surface again? VolumeUp+Power or VolumeDown+Power?

This is good to know, courtesy of Jeff:

Surface won't power down but stuck on a Black Screen:

Volume Rocker Up and Power Button - 10 Seconds
Wait 10 Seconds
Power Button - Surface wakes back up

Surface won't Power Up:

Volume Rocker Down + Power Button = Power Up

Advanced Boot-up from a powered down Surface:

Press and Hold Volume Rocker Up + Power Button + release both = Advanced UEFI Screen (Touch Screen should work, but you can also navigate via the Volume Rocker and Windows Key)

CTRL - ALT - Delete:

Windows Key + Power Button

Print Screen:

Volume Rocker Down + Windows Button