What's new

Device Waking from Sleep Mode

PaulC2K

I've been noticing that my SP2 will occasionally wake from being put into sleep mode (via power switch) and its getting quite annoying.

The reason its annoying is because 95% of the time its by the side of my bed, and i'll either be in bed watching TV and catch it in the corner of my eye sat on the home screen (maybe not the right name, but the one asking me to slide & login to get to desktop/metro), but while thats not really annoying its just off-putting, it is annoying when i finally put my head down, lights out, and then within 5min im much aware that it's decided to say hello, even with a dark background screen. Its also got to the point where sometimes ive just started trying to sleep and i'll think its woke up, and it hasnt, so now i have the problem of it waking me when its woke and even when it hasnt!
The false waking is probably because im sleeping at 7-9am and facing the window/curtain (and surface) so it could be outside activity im catching and paranoia from this issue making me think its doing it, but its very annoying.

Given that wifi appears to disconnect on sleep (wish it wouldnt!) i cant imagine what is causing it to wake up.
Theres no timed events, although my Server2012 system does a daily backup of all machines incl the Surface, however its the server which initiates that, theres no scheduled events on the surface (not for AV, AntiMalware or anything - i could do with installing AM though!).

Does anyone have any ideas? short of facing a different direction or moving it ;)

GoodBytes

While I can't say for sure, but my desktop (custom build) faces the same problem since i put Win8 (and continues with 8.1), and everything to wake up the system is disabled. And apparently I am not alone.
However, while I don't have a camera and film my Sp2 to confirm that it doesn't do this, but I don't think mine does.

Here are things to try:
-> Make the Surface Pro not wake up when you use the keyboard or track pad (that would also make the behavior of the device like laptops, where you need to hit the power button. Well here you have the power button and Start button on the screen that can wake up the device). You can find the option in Device Manager.
-> Check if the system does any system maintenance schedule, Windows update, or anything like that, under Task Schedule. This include auto updater, like Flash, and Adobe Reader.
-> Under every Windows 8 App (Modern UI Apps), go to their settings, and make sure that none of them are set to run in the background.

See if disabling all that solves your problem. If it does, then you can slowly enable each of them, and rule out the culprit.

grumpy

Next time it wakes up unexpectedly, try running "powercfg /lastwake" from the command prompt. You can also look at the system logs to try and see what caused the machine to wake up.

I'd look into the hibernate settings.
When this happened to me, it would be after sleeping for 1 hour which is the time it was set to hibernate (don't think it happens any more though, update fixed it).

drolem

That, unfortunately, is not unusual for the SP2, and it's been a known issue for quite a while.

Make sure you have all the FW updates (it should've been fixed with the latest round), do a hard reset, and see if the problem still happening.

If it does, I suggest you to use hibernate instead for long sleeps.

OP
P

PaulC2K

Cheers for the replies folks, i'll try and give them all a try.
It really wouldnt be an issue if it wasnt for the fact that im literally about 6" away and staring right at it when i go to sleep :D

The network adapter isnt set to wake the device in its power management settings (its grey'd out anyway)
/lastwake comes back with 0, so i dunno.

I'll have to try and make a note of the time when it does it, see if i can locate an event for the same time.

I actually have a system update ive been ignoring a reboot on, so i've just let it restart and i'll just have to monitor it for a few days. Im not sure whether hibernate mode would help, or whether it'd just make it slower on the wake-up and a little more power efficient (not an issue). I'd also really like the sleep mode to hold the network connection, its nothing major but sometimes i can hear emails coming in while its 'off' but more often i'll come to use it and it'll have to regain connection and fetch all the emails. Its not set to power off wireless, ive tried finding way to keep it constantly connected but i guess thats not a possibility due to standard sleep settings.

OP
P

PaulC2K

So, it's just woke itself up, i checked the event log, and theres plenty of activity at 9:01am, the earliest item being :
Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General
Date:          24/03/2014 09:01:27
Event ID:      1
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Time
User:          N/A
Computer:      Surface
Description:
The system time has changed to ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎24T09:01:27.500000000Z from ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎24T06:20:59.192324800Z.

Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware clock.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General" Guid="{A68CA8B7-004F-D7B6-A698-07E2DE0F1F5D}" />
    <EventID>1</EventID>
    <Version>1</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000010</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-03-24T09:01:27.499888500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>12808</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="6456" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Surface</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="NewTime">2014-03-24T09:01:27.500000000Z</Data>
    <Data Name="OldTime">2014-03-24T06:20:59.192324800Z</Data>
    <Data Name="Reason">2</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

now why the hell is the device activating and presumably going online to figure out if the clock is out? it sure as hell aint 2h40 out though, that much im sure of, but this is the earliest event logged, and i havent used it for 24h, so it should be kicking some zzzzz's

-edit-
just looked at the log again, and the entry before this one, time = 6:20:58
that cant be a coincidence, so its plausible theres tons of events at '6:20' leading up to it 'fixing' the clock.
not impressed eitherway, and i cba now cos i should be kicking zzzzz's myself

Last edited:
I'd also really like the sleep mode to hold the network connection, its nothing major but sometimes i can hear emails coming in while its 'off' but more often i'll come to use it and it'll have to regain connection and fetch all the emails. Its not set to power off wireless, ive tried finding way to keep it constantly connected but i guess thats not a possibility due to standard sleep settings.
The SFPro2 will never held any network connection while sleep; if you can hear emails coming in then it's not sleeping at all! I once got a weird situation where closing the cover did not put it to sleep but rather just turned the CPU off and started burning CPU cycles like hell -- the fact that I heard the email jingle was precisely what called my attention.

The lack of connected standby is something that I personally believe is a purely political decision.

Last edited:

Dayton

It is moving from sleep to hibernate, by default this happens after 60 minutes. Not an issue, it was one over Christmas when it couldn't make the move between power modes.

Rvacha

The system time has changed to ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎24T09:01:27.500000000Z from ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎24T06:20:59.192324800Z

For me many times when my SP2 "hard" crashes (you can hear the fans for several seconds) it will corrupt the clock. Odd thing is the clock doesn't go way off in the weeds (like November 2008), it always has the correct date but the time is off a 1-3 hours or so - 1hr 3 minutes, 2 hours and 17 minutes, etc.. The event viewer log implies you probably crashed somewhere along the way. Crashes are bad, but crashes that corrupt the clock are worse if you are synchronizing between PCs like I am. That is one of the reasons I only turn on my SP2 to check for firmware updates - it is too dangerous to use for any other purpose

I've never had a PC that couldn't keep time (other than a really old one whose CMOS battery died)

Last edited:
OP
P

PaulC2K

I'll just have to keep looking and seeing if i can spot when it wakes and see what the event viewer has to say for itself.

I dont think the clock moving forward was the trigger though, i just think that happened in a sequence of events moments before when its clock was wrong, something else probably really triggered the wake at 9:00-9:01am but in the middle of doing its stuff and its awake, its realised the time isnt 6am but 9am, and so its updated the time. So when ive looked at the log, the earliest activity which makes sense is at 9:01 and its the clock update.
I think i'd have to go through what happened leading up to 6:20:59 when its clock was wrong and reporting events for 6:20:59 which were actually seconds before 9:01:30 when it did the time update.

I dont have the cover, and i almost always use the power button (set to 'sleep' in Adv power)
I also use 1h 'turn off display' for both battery and powered, and never for 'put the computer asleep'
Im not aware of anything which is putting it into hibernate mode, but i couldnt say for certain.

OP
P

PaulC2K

hmm, i just took another look at the event log to see what happened around 6:20am

06:20:58 - WseClientMonitorSvc - Service stopped successfully
06:20:58 - The system is entering sleep. Sleep reason: Button or lid (It hadnt been touched for about 24h!)
06:20:58 - The system time has changed to ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎24T06:20:56.500000000Z from ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎24T06:20:58.127434900Z (its gone back 2 seconds!)
06:20:58 - MGMTSVC_STOPPED (Seems to be related to Server management)
09:01:27 - The system time has changed to ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎24T09:01:27.500000000Z from ‎2014‎-‎03‎-‎24T06:20:59.192324800Z (As mentioned earlier, having just gone back 2sec, its now gone forward 2hr!)

The events before were minor, 4am and nothing looking odd.
Those 5 events come from Applications (#1) then the rest were under System (#2-5)
I've included #1 & #4 simply because they happened, and thats everything leading upto stuff timed 09:21:27 onwards, at which point its almost certainly woke and doing a load of stuff it feels it needs to do.

But i find 3 of those System event entries rather odd, from going into sleep by button or lid, when i hadnt touched it for 24h and then it feeling the need to change the system time twice in a split second. Nothing from those makes any sense.

Last edited: