What's new

Did the November 2 firmware fix your issues?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It just happened for the 4th time tonight. It was not this frequent before the update.
It all depends on what you are doing or where you are going and likely the ADs you are running into. There's even a link to a site ... that will repeatedly crash the driver until you close it.

MrRedHat

I have a power point that BSOD’s my Surface Book while it is in clipboard mode. It doesn’t do it when it it’s in laptop mode. I’m only guessing, but I bet it’s using the GPU in the keyboard. I will have to confirm this, but it definitely doesn’t do it when it’s in laptop mode.

mcsenerd

Well... While Leeshor might be some kinda lucky...I just received the display driver error tonight within 30 minutes of first booting mine up (and after applying all updates including what I believe to be the latest firmware) upon receipt today. I'm sure they'll fix it with a subsequent update. I don't think I've had a surface yet that didn't have some niggling issues of some sort right after release.

leeshor

Well... While Leeshor might be some kinda lucky...I just received the display driver error tonight within 30 minutes of first booting mine up (and after applying all updates including what I believe to be the latest firmware) upon receipt today. I'm sure they'll fix it with a subsequent update. I don't think I've had a surface yet that didn't have some niggling issues of some sort right after release.
I have heavily modified my SP4. I wish I could tell you what I did that has caused it to run perfectly but I assure you it isn't luck. I don't use Edge, I turned off it's background task, I turned off WiFi while sleeping and quite a few other things. I now have no live tiles. I just can say all the things I did as there were so many.

MrRedHat

Just had mine freeze and had to hold the on button for 15 seconds to get it to shutdown. I was swapping the screen to put the keyboard behind the screen.

Surfer01

If u r still having issues after that update, you need to go into uefi (bios) and then exit from there.... There is no need to make any changes but just exit after you get into uefi... This refreshes the bios and will sort many issues... I had issues with keyboard detection and this helped.

To get into uefi or bios you need to press and hold power button and volume up button for around 30 sec.
Then release both... Wait a couple of seconds and then press and release power button

Telex

Not only am I still having display driver crashes from the Intel driver, I am STILL unable to use two monitors (see other threads) with the dock. I would stay far away from the dock at least for at least a month or two.

dstrauss

Not only am I still having display driver crashes from the Intel driver, I am STILL unable to use two monitors (see other threads) with the dock. I would stay far away from the dock at least for at least a month or two.

I've been using my new dock with my old Surface Pro 3 - daisy chained (because that's how I used the old dock) and it works just fine. Maybe I won't use both ports...

rockstarbill

The Nov 2nd update fixed a lot of things, but not the iGPU driver crashes. Those still occur, albeit less frequently. It also did not fix the sleep issue, although some folks have found that updating their battery device drivers from device manager, have resulted in an updated 2013 battery driver that seems to work quite well with the device in sleep mode. I did the update, slept the device for a few hours and only had about a 2-3% drain which is an improvement over the 10-15% I would lose just driving to work with sleep enabled. I set mine to hibernate after 30 mins (rather than the default of 120 mins) and now I have the best of both worlds.

Hoping for more fixes in the upcoming builds. I am on 10576 now and have no complaints.