What's new

Did you buy the right Surface?

CrippsCorner

Only had mine 3 weeks now...

Sometimes I think I should have got the RT instead! But I keep telling myself I will use the advantage of the x86 capabilities! I will use my DJ software at some point etc. I think the main thing with the Pro is the future proofing. I was also originally planning to get the Touch Cover and just 64Gb SSD but decided to go with the other options in the end. I've even thought since maybe I should have just stuck with the 64Gb SSD as I don't really store anything on the Surface itself, it gets everything from a networked computer.

But again, just in case ain't it
big%20smile.png

kristalsoldier

Good question!!!!

When I first read about the Surface and the description of the two variants, I knew that I wanted the RT because I estimated (quite accurately, as it turns out) that I have very little legacy app requirements. I've now had the RT since Feb-March and I can say that I have not found myself struggling with any missing features. Sure there are some features that I want augmented (like Mail, a good native PDF reader, etc.).

The only place where I have recently found the Surface RT lacking, which makes me wonder if I should have got the Pro instead is the ability to use alternate browsers - but only because I want to use Tor, which comes in a Firefox flavor. The other thing that I miss is the ability to use PGP software - but this is a new development as I have got increasingly interested in cryptography, security etc. for work purposes.

What I do like about the RT is the weight, the battery life, the sheer elegance of the platform and contra what most tech commentators seems to say, the lightness of RT. I should also add that with some minor exception, the Windows Store has not been a dismal experience for me - especially since I learned how to switch locations.

That said, one of the things on my to-do list - which I will probably do over the weekend - is to write out a longish post on how I use the RT and my Nexus 10 and what I think the RT can learn from the Nexus and apply to itself. In effect, I would be describing my "dream" RT machine.

In essence, therefore, I am happy with my choice of the RT. And, if you are waiting for a rant - here it is: I wish the damn Touch Cover was cheaper!!!!

Edit: One thing that I think the RT should have had is the Pen-capability. And, instead of Office RT, a 1-year free subscription to Office 365 (with Win RT being modified to accommodate the related system requirements).

Last edited:

MHC48

It's really just a matter of deciding (hopefully before you buy) what your needs are. I got the RT the first day it came out and have been more than happy with it. Yes it has limitations but I knew I didn't need legacy x86 programs on the Surface. Its lightness and long battery life are exactly what I wanted. With the upcoming 8.1 additions it will be even better.

With tech and technolust, one can always have regrets. I'm sure, as soon as it comes out I will start pining for an RT with the new Qualcomm processor.

pallentx

RT was definitely right for me. Half the price, twice the battery and more portable. I haven't come across any need for "legacy" software yet. My only regret was not getting the 64GB version. I didn't anticipate the hurdles involved to use the SD card for music/photo/video libraries. I'm still getting by with the 32, but it would be nice to just not worry about storage.

kristalsoldier

RT was definitely right for me. Half the price, twice the battery and more portable. I haven't come across any need for "legacy" software yet. My only regret was not getting the 64GB version. I didn't anticipate the hurdles involved to use the SD card for music/photo/video libraries. I'm still getting by with the 32, but it would be nice to just not worry about storage.

I also got the 32 GB version which I paired with a 64 GB MicroSD card and 7GB of Skydrive. Have not yet felt the need for more space. If I do, I have two options - (1) increase the Skydrive space and (2) Use a 100GB portable drive. About the problems with using the internal SD card for music, videos etc. - I did try the couple of options that have been suggested, but in the end, I just use it without any linking - too cumbersome. I am not sure if MS is going to fix this in Blue - I hope they do though.

Nuspieds

Yes, I absolutely did!

I needed to replace my laptop (which was already running Windows 8 Pro), so RT was definitely not an option.

The weekend I got the SP, it was great to be back up and running on this new device with all my Windows apps.

mitchellvii

Doesn't matter. The SP and the RT are both going to seem like crap compared to some of the new Haswell stuff coming out. Did anyone catch some of the upcoming Samsung offerings today? Good god.

Samsung Ativ Q - Tablets - CNET Reviews

It's a hybrid device, transforming from a Windows 8 slate into a fully-fledged laptop in one quick motion. That's not all, though -- at the tap of an icon it'll boot into Android Jelly Bean, letting you swipe around all of your favorite apps from the Google Play store.

It's packing the latest Intel Haswell Core i5 processor, with a 13-inch display boasting a whopping 3,200x1,800-pixel resolution.

ArnoldC

I have an Acer S3 notebook that buying a Surface Pro won't make much different experience, so I bought the Surface RT and never regret it. I have this thing about non-Intel devices and I thank Microsoft for making this possible.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The fact that I used my Surface RT all day at work and can still use it sitting at home watching the news catching up on the forums until I go to sleep, I bought the right one....

dougpaw57

I bought the Pro over the RT because of the screen, not the ability to run legacy Windows programs. If there had been an RT version with the 1920x1080 screen, I would have bought it. I find that I don't use a lot of legacy apps, but the screen would be the deal breaker.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

That's true I forget about the 'smaller' differences sometimes, such as the stylus and the screen. Also, does the RT come with USB 3.0?