What's new

Did you notice any other improvements on the new CPU units?

reach

Hi there!
I have received my 3rd SP2 today (so the 2nd replacement) and luckily it has no backlight bleeding, so I should be very happy. (and indeed I am, sort of...)
However, the MS guy on the phone told me, I'll get one with the new CPU, but this one still has the "old".
Ok, so I'm happy with finally having a properly built device and I most certainly don't care for any extra CPU power.
However, since this seems to be kind of Version 2.1 and I seriously doubt that MS made this only to add more power, I'm wondering if there were any further enhancements?
My top candidates would be a more precise Stylus, a more scratch resistant painting and maybe even better battery life.

Has anybody noticed such a thing? Is there an official statement from MS about the new Hardware Revision?

Cheers!
reach

be77solo

What you are wanting might be part of SP3 improvements, but the CPU change is simply that.... A CPU change. It's not SP2.1 or SP2.5 as a few on these boards have called it, it's the exact same SP2 with a one bin arguably very slightly better CPU. All else remains the same.

Sounds like you've had a bit of bad luck with hardware; I say enjoy the one you are finally happy with.:D

MickeyLittle

Yep no difference that I can tell either. I don't have the screen flicker anymore but that probably has nothing to do with the 4300u. I just had a faulty tablet in the first place.

DragonGamer

Wish they had updated the cams too...

The wacom issues isn't really a hardware issue though, nor MS's issue. It's just the fact that the software driver doesn't allow proper calbiration also around the edges. Wacom promised an update on that for the end of 2013 though... ><

infer66

The screen dimming issue looks like it is fixed on the i5 4300u units. It must have been a hardware issue after all.

tinycg

Agree with be77solo, my new unit is a late lot 4200u and I haven't seen the screen dimming issue since setting it up earlier today. That and backlight bleed are gone in this new one. Its not a 4300u but I'll take it.

sovereignty68

Hi there!
I have received my 3rd SP2 today (so the 2nd replacement) and luckily it has no backlight bleeding, so I should be very happy. (and indeed I am, sort of...)
However, the MS guy on the phone told me, I'll get one with the new CPU, but this one still has the "old".
Ok, so I'm happy with finally having a properly built device and I most certainly don't care for any extra CPU power.
However, since this seems to be kind of Version 2.1 and I seriously doubt that MS made this only to add more power, I'm wondering if there were any further enhancements?
My top candidates would be a more precise Stylus, a more scratch resistant painting and maybe even better battery life.

Has anybody noticed such a thing? Is there an official statement from MS about the new Hardware Revision?

Cheers!
reach

Mine's 3rd SP2 also, 2nd replacement via web. 3rd SP2 that I received today is brand new, surprisingly. 2nd was obviously a "refurbished" with serial# begins with 002, with misaligned kickstand. My 3rd SP2 has serial beginning with 038, 4300U cpu. Unfortunately, 3rd unit has horrible light bleed on top. It is noticeable even brightness is set to 50%. My wallpaper is a dark image which pretty much makes the light bleed noticeable on daily use. I'm kinda worry that 3rd replacement would be another *refurbished* unit.

be77solo

Mine's 3rd SP2 also, 2nd replacement via web. 3rd SP2 that I received today is brand new, surprisingly. 2nd was obviously a "refurbished" with serial# begins with 002, with misaligned kickstand. My 3rd SP2 has serial beginning with 038, 4300U cpu. Unfortunately, 3rd unit has horrible light bleed on top. It is noticeable even brightness is set to 50%. My wallpaper is a dark image which pretty much makes the light bleed noticeable on daily use. I'm kinda worry that 3rd replacement would be another *refurbished* unit.
At this point, after going through this for weeks with MS support, you are most definitely going to get a refurbished unit at this point... the only reason they were sending out new units for exchange was an inventory issue. This reason is why I'm so desperate to solve my current problems on my own through software, as I've already received a "refurbished" unit that was a total mess, scratched all over and obviously well used, that I instantly sent back and refused to accept. Sad part is they don't actually do anything to refurbish the units, simply drop in bubble wrap and send to next customer. The process needs work for sure on Microsoft's end.

CrippsCorner

After getting a replacement unit I only really realised then that I had some light bleeding with my original unit! Didn't really bother me though, certainly not enough to exchange it.

GoodBytes

I did not see any performance difference. However, I did notice that the systems with 4200U CPU has little to near no back light bleeding. While the 4300U pretty much all do, especially at the lower right (common issue with Samsung panel even on their desktop IPS panels, and sure enough, the SP2 uses a Samsung panel. But that is based on my personal observation.

Hopefully, Microsoft will switch to LG AH-IPS panels, and hopefully, if is exists in the size and low power requirement, a true 8-bit panel and not the standard 6-bit with FRC to emulate 8-bit colors.

Last edited: