What's new

Did Your SP3 Come with BitLocker Fully Enabled?

Chris Stephen

Hello.

Yes. On my surface pro 3 i7 512gb Bitlocker was enabled by default. It doesn't appear to be hurting anything and my performance is still great so I'm going to leave it as is.

ctitanic

I'll go with the futzing caused the yellow triangle.

I think Frank's are all confused :) he says it was on but image says off... probably due to futzing also
I said that in my Surface 2 it was on by default in my SP3 it's off.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you sign in with your Microsoft Account it will enable Bitlocker if you sign in using a local account you will need to enable it. Also if you you are using an Active Directory Account it would be enabled per Group Policies.

ctitanic

If you sign in with your Microsoft Account it will enable Bitlocker if you sign in using a local account you will need to enable it. Also if you you are using an Active Directory Account it would be enabled per Group Policies.
You see, that's what I find weird. I always log using my Microsoft account. So I think that at some point Bitlocker was disabled for a driver update or something. At this point I'm thinking about no enabling because I do not save stuff in my HDD. I save in my Onedrive or microSD. Of course that there still coockies and emails that may contain undesirable information. So I still thinking.

ctitanic

BTW, I enabled in my ex Surface RT microDrive and forgot about it and when I switched to Surface 2 I lost all the files in my microSD because I could not regain access to them.

phositadc

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I bought an i5/4GB SP3 today. I didn't mess around with anything, and on the very first boot, I had a yellow exclamation point on the C: drive. Didn't really worry about it. But I was having other problems as well, such as my battery saying 0% and saying that it was not detected. Also, I ran Windows update to install the latest firmware, etc., and after I did so, literally every single reboot would say that "We are updating system files" or whatever and sit there for about 5-10 minutes before finally rebooting.

As a result of all of that, I decided to do a factory reset. And what do I discover? That I have to enter some like 50 digit PIN just to do a factory reset. Thankfully I was able to access the pin through my Microsoft account. But I had never enabled bit locker or anything encryption, so I was pretty shocked to see a PIN was required to do a reset.

In any event, I just did the reset and am about to set it up fresh. Suffice it to say, this has not been a smooth experience, and I'm a pretty big computer geek, so setting up new computers is not something that typically gives me any issues. Given the battery thing and various other issues, I think this device may be defective.

Anyways, just posted to weigh in on the bit locker question.

Edit: And for the record, even after doing the factory reset, I have the yellow exclamation point on my C: drive.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the yellow icon is there while the drive is in the process of being encrypted and as such would be normal until its done.

Yep there are a lot of updates... just hang in there.

malberttoo

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I bought an i5/4GB SP3 today. I didn't mess around with anything, and on the very first boot, I had a yellow exclamation point on the C: drive. Didn't really worry about it. But I was having other problems as well, such as my battery saying 0% and saying that it was not detected. Also, I ran Windows update to install the latest firmware, etc., and after I did so, literally every single reboot would say that "We are updating system files" or whatever and sit there for about 5-10 minutes before finally rebooting.

As a result of all of that, I decided to do a factory reset. And what do I discover? That I have to enter some like 50 digit PIN just to do a factory reset. Thankfully I was able to access the pin through my Microsoft account. But I had never enabled bit locker or anything encryption, so I was pretty shocked to see a PIN was required to do a reset.

In any event, I just did the reset and am about to set it up fresh. Suffice it to say, this has not been a smooth experience, and I'm a pretty big computer geek, so setting up new computers is not something that typically gives me any issues. Given the battery thing and various other issues, I think this device may be defective.

Anyways, just posted to weigh in on the bit locker question.

Edit: And for the record, even after doing the factory reset, I have the yellow exclamation point on my C: drive.

Are you logged in logged in with a local account like Jeff was mentioning above? Or a Microsoft account?

phositadc

Are you logged in logged in with a local account like Jeff was mentioning above? Or a Microsoft account?

First time was a microsoft account. Had so many issues that, after I did the reset, I just did a local account. Yellow exclamation point on C: drive both times. Never seen it before on any computer I've owned. Strangely, if I go into BitLocker from control panel, it gives me the option to enable it, suggesting that it is disabled. However, if I goto Disk Management and look at the C: drive, it says Bitlocker is enabled.

Really odd. Whatever the deal, it seems that very few people have had the yellow exclamation point on the C: drive. Does anybody even know what it means?

malberttoo

First time was a microsoft account. Had so many issues that, after I did the reset, I just did a local account. Yellow exclamation point on C: drive both times. Never seen it before on any computer I've owned. Strangely, if I go into BitLocker from control panel, it gives me the option to enable it, suggesting that it is disabled. However, if I goto Disk Management and look at the C: drive, it says Bitlocker is enabled.

Really odd. Whatever the deal, it seems that very few people have had the yellow exclamation point on the C: drive. Does anybody even know what it means?

Ha, I did exactly the reverse. Took it out of the box and set up a local account. That was right when it first came out and firmware was coming out often and the thing was fairly buggy. I did a factory reset on it a month later and this time did a MS account, been just about perfect.

Bitlocker is enabled on mine, although I did not enable it.