What's new

Diff. between USB charge SP3 and Other SP?

chapmattman

Hey all-
I have been a surface Pro user, with version 1, and version 2, and just upgraded to the SP3. I love the device, with one small complaint. Did they lower the output of the charger's USB cable? I have a Nokia Lumia Icon and used to be able to charge it quite rapidly through the power out on the USB portion of the charging brick.

Now, when I go to charge using that port, the phone can sit there for an hour and gain virually no charge at all. I don't get a "phone charging slowly" message, but it is clear that it is not taking a very fast charge. The icon for battery does indicate it is plugged in.

Thanks y'all.
Chapman

malberttoo

Hey all-
I have been a surface Pro user, with version 1, and version 2, and just upgraded to the SP3. I love the device, with one small complaint. Did they lower the output of the charger's USB cable? I have a Nokia Lumia Icon and used to be able to charge it quite rapidly through the power out on the USB portion of the charging brick.

Now, when I go to charge using that port, the phone can sit there for an hour and gain virually no charge at all. I don't get a "phone charging slowly" message, but it is clear that it is not taking a very fast charge. The icon for battery does indicate it is plugged in.

Thanks y'all.
Chapman

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know the exact numbers, but the SP3 USB output is limited, by design, to help with overall battery life.

Why not use the USB charging port on the SP3 power brick? That's what it's there for... :D

OP
C

chapmattman

Why not use the USB charging port on the SP3 power brick? That's what it's there for... :D

Actually that is the USB port I am talking about. The one on the brick. Had no problems with the port on the power supply on my SP1 or SP2, but it doesn't actually charge anything on my SP3. tried multiple cables.

malberttoo

Actually that is the USB port I am talking about. The one on the brick. Had no problems with the port on the power supply on my SP1 or SP2, but it doesn't actually charge anything on my SP3. tried multiple cables.

Then your power brick is probably bad. You should call Microsoft and get it replaced. Mine will charge my first-gen iPad in only a couple hours.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recall there were a number of other members with this issue. You might be able to find the thread through a search and see if there was any solution to this. As above though, mine charges my devices without an issue be it my M7 or Nexus 10

Cyb3rDud3

I've got a Lumia 930 so the same as the ICON and it is stupidly slow at charging...I didn't take it a fault with the powerbrick myself as it is also very slow using the wireless block and in the car when using Satnav the drain is higher than the charge gained....Yet on all of those my iPhone 6+ is super quick and has no issues...

I could be wrong but I think the issue is with the 930/Icon which is a shame as otherwise it is rather good...