What's new

Different kickstand design

Tsurugaya

I would like to see a different design of the kickstand. The left and right edge should be angled at different degrees, say 15 and 30, so it would support the Surface in portrait mode at t two different angles the way it does in landscape.

manonthebrain

I would like to see a different design of the kickstand. The left and right edge should be angled at different degrees, say 15 and 30, so it would support the Surface in portrait mode at t two different angles the way it does in landscape.
wouldn't that mod make it a little harder to use in your lap.
there is a Sony product that was supposed to be a surface competitor but the drawback was the stand was directly in the middle and about an inch wide, making it impossible to use on anything other than a table top.

surfdock

Hi. I almost took a dremmel tool to my flipstand to get it to be more stable in portrait mode. But then I had a better idea. I made a portrait docking station for about $6. What do you think?

Surface Pro/Pro 2 Portrait Docking Station
1575d1390684193-surface-pro-portrait-docking-station-wp_20140124_003-custom-.jpg

1568d1390681719-surface-pro-portrait-docking-station-wp_20140124_008-custom-.jpg

1569d1390681747-surface-pro-portrait-docking-station-wp_20140124_001-custom-.jpg

Last edited:
OP
T

Tsurugaya

wouldn't that mod make it a little harder to use in your lap.
there is a Sony product that was supposed to be a surface competitor but the drawback was the stand was directly in the middle and about an inch wide, making it impossible to use on anything other than a table top.

The kickstand have the width of the Surface today, I visualize it as being a total of 1 to 1/2 inch smaller. Do you think that would make it harder to be stable in your lap?

jrapdx

The kickstand have the width of the Surface today, I visualize it as being a total of 1 to 1/2 inch smaller. Do you think that would make it harder to be stable in your lap?

Probably not. Part of the (vertical) stand stability problem may be the angle it emerges from the body (when the stand extended of course). At the maximum angle it still isn't perpendicular.

My issue with the kick stand is a little different but may coincide with yours. I think it does not quite reach an angle that allows a bit more "tilted back" position (in horizontal orientation). In some locations the "more tilted back" angle would be more comfortable (at least for us taller folks). At the same time, this would make a more balanced vertical stance for the SP2.

BTW, the idea of "shaving" off a bit of the length of the kickstand might work even better if the elided area was an angle from the full-width edge where the stand hinges on the body, to a cm or so less width at the distal end of the stand. Forms a sort of rhomboidal shape, the wide edge at the hinge. Hope that makes some sense. A drawing would be much clearer...

OP
T

Tsurugaya

Visualization

This is how I imagine the design.
And as I view it now after uploading it I realize that the angles should be mirrored. Shouldn't do these things after bedtime. I hope my idea still comes over. The angle starts at the edge where the kickstand is joined in the middle of the backside. I'll make a new one tomorrow when I'm not tired.
I edited the photo on my phone, this is why I also need a Surface, sometimes those screens are just too small for what you want to do.

Surface kickstand design.jpg

Last edited:

manonthebrain

This is how I imagine the design.
And as I view it now after uploading it I realize that the angles should be mirrored. Shouldn't do these things after bedtime. I hope my idea still comes over. The angle starts at the edge where the kickstand is joined in the middle of the backside. I'll make a new one tomorrow when I'm not tired.
I edited the photo on my phone, this is why I also need a Surface, sometimes those screens are just too small for what you want to do.

View attachment 1578

with that design you'd have to mod the slots for the stand and the stand it self
surface stand.png
AND how would that help portrait mode anyways?? the angles should be the opposite direction

Last edited: