What's new

Different warranty periods for different models?

spinachpie

Just having a look at my device on the MS site and it says my warranty expires January 2017.

That is just over two years worth of warranty and am confused (not complaining!).

My original Surface Pro 1 was the standard one year. I am in New Zealand by the way.

Final question - is it possible to transfer the warranty to a new user if I were to sell?

Johnny365

Yes the warranty on each device, keyboard, etc., is tied to the device itself so all they would have to do is register it using their Microsoft account.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe that warranties can change based on country, some EU countries require 2 years warranty IIRC.

If this is not the case, and you should just have 1 year, then it doesn't nevessarily mean you have that 2 year period. I have MS extended warranty yet my warranty info on the website seems to change every month or so for some reason. MS have confirmed I have complete and it will cover me until X but the website seems to have a mind of it's own.

As to transferring the warranty to a new owner, I could be wrong but I believe that you have to unregister the device in your MS account page before the new owner would be able to register it and make use of the warranty. But yes, warranty follows the device not the person.

Grumpy2

In Australia and New Zealand the warranty period is a little over two years. Mine is around two years and three months. But the warranty period is different for the SP3 and the keyboard. Who knows why? This has been raised on the Whirlpool forums but nobody seems to know why. If they were both for two years that would be fine but one is longer than the other. I will check out my warranty on the Microsoft site and get back to you.

Grumpy2

In Australia and New Zealand the warranty period is a little over two years. Mine is around two years and three months. But the warranty period is different for the SP3 and the keyboard. Who knows why? This has been raised on the Whirlpool forums but nobody seems to know why. If they were both for two years that would be fine but one is longer than the other. I will check out my warranty on the Microsoft site and get back to you.
Edit: My Sp3 and keyboard were purchased on September 19th 2014. The warranty for the keyboard expires on
10th December 2016 and the SP3 on the 28th November 2016 so both a little over two years. Some have suggested that this is to comply with legal requirements in Australia and New Zealand but I do not know the reason. I guess only Microsoft A&NZ can answer that.

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

Thanks for the answers. Weird as my keyboard seems to only be covered for a year - and the SP3 itself is two years.

I contacted MS about transferring warranty and they told me that you cannot transfer the warranty to a new owner as it is tied to the owner itself.

If i unregister the device, you guys think it should be ok for a potential new owner? This is just in case I need to sell.

malberttoo

Where I can see my Warranty status? Link for Microsoft WebPage?!

Thanks Guys!

PS= I want to check because when I bought it, I got with Extended Warranty, from 1 to 2 years!

PS2= Founded!!!!! Never Mind guys! https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/check-warranty

And the Extra Warranty was applied only or the Surface PRO3 not for Type Cover

The Complete warranty extension is only applied to accessories if you buy them at the same time as the Surface. Did you buy the Type Cover separately?

Aurelio

Noup... I got all together!

That's ok.... one year for the keyboard it's ok, the problem if it was the other way!!!! 2 years on the keyboard and only one in the Surface aehhaehaehae