What's new

Disable sleep?

bjanssen

Hi!

I'm thinking of trading in my MacBook Air for a surface pro 3 and have a question. I use my MacBook as a server of sorts that needs to remain on when it is plugged in and never go to sleep. I understand the surface pro 3 locks out some of the power settings. Is it possible to make the surface pro 3 stay on when plugged in?

Thanks in advance!

BJ

malberttoo

You're welcome! When you're ready, post back here for help. You'll have to enable Hyper-V and make a few adjustments. No big deal though, probably take you all of 3 minutes.

OP
B

bjanssen

Hmm. That doesn't sound ideal. I thought enabling hyper-v meant disabling connected standby? I'd like to keep connected standby, particularly when unplugged.

BJ

OP
B

bjanssen

I've done some more digging around. Do you think this would work?

1) Enable Hyper-V to get access to power profiles.
2) Set the balanced profile to never sleep when plugged in.
3) Disable Hyper-V to get Connected Standby back.

The primary reason I need this is if I am seeding torrents, I don't want the thing to keep turning off.

Thanks again!
BJ

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to go into that much trouble, just go into the Power Settings and Change Plan Settings and set Sleep to Never while Plugged In.....

ctitanic

You don't need to go into that much trouble, just go into the Power Settings and Change Plan Settings and set Sleep to Never while Plugged In.....
Correct. You don't need to do any workaround.

Capture.JPG

malberttoo

Aw snap, my bad. I was totally confusing the issue with the WiFi performance thing...